Position: COMPONENT LEAD Legislative Capacity Building (LCB)
Nationality: American National (AN) or Third Country National (TCN)
Base of Operations: Dubai, United Arab Emirates (with TDY to Kabul)
Required Clearance: Moderate Risk Public Trust (MRPT)
Tetra Tech seeks candidates to be considered for COMPONENT LEAD Legislative Capacity Building (LCB) position on the INL-funded Justice Sector Support Program (JSSP ) in Afghanistan.
JSSP’s primary objective is to support the development of an Afghan professional cadre that is capable of sustaining, equipping, managing, and enabling its own criminal justice organizations. JSSP provides training and capacity building for Afghan officials in the Ministry of Justice (MOJ), Attorney General’s Office (AGO), Supreme Court (SCt), Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MOWA), and other justice sector organizations. The project has three main components:
Case Management System (CMS): CMS is an online application designed to track criminal and civil cases. The CMS is intended to harmonize and interlink justice institutions to effectively perform their functions.
Organizational Capacity Building (OCB): This component focuses on capacity building for justice institution personnel and ensuring that justice institutions are able to fulfill their mandates and operate independently.
Legislative Capacity Building (LCB): JSSP’s efforts in LCB contribute to ensuring that laws and related documents are coherent, comply with the Constitution, treaties and conventions, and incorporate internationally recognized standards for the protection of women and vulnerable groups.
DIRECTLY REPORTS TO: DCOT-A
Duties: The LCB Component Lead shall:
- Directly manage and monitor performance of Legislative Capacity Building (LCB) component staff and consultants
- Lead Afghan LCB staff to perform the Justice Sector Support Program (JSSP)’s co-secretariat duties for the Criminal Law Reform Working Group (CLRWG) and Criminal Procedure Code Working Group (CPCWG)
- Provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MOWA) and Ministry of Justice (MOJ) Taqnin on all legislative-related issues such as providing legal analysis, research, and training on legislative drafting and international conventions
- Mentor MOJ/Taqnin staff in CLRWG and CPCWG operations to prepare for eventual transition
- In coordination with the Transition, Sustainability, and Knowledge Management Advisor, guide and train LCB advisors to update/develop materials (guides, manuals, etc.) to assist Taqnin in assuming implementation responsibilities by project-end
- Guide and train LCB advisors in the provision of technical support for the Office of the Minister and Deputy Minister of Justice on legislative passage and implementation, and coordination with CLRWG and CLRWC
- Guide and train the LCB advisors on how to conduct research and make recommendations to the working groups for priority laws
- Oversee preparation of detailed briefings to examine how any new criminal justice/justice-related legislation pending in the MOJ or before Parliament will impact the justice system
- Be responsible for training LCB staff on tracking legislation as it progresses through the legislative process
- Support LCB staff to develop training materials as appropriate
- Build awareness of criminal law and justice-related legislative proposals
- Maintain current knowledge of National Priority Program (NPP), National Justice Sector Strategy, Ministerial Strategies, Ministerial Policies, INL’s Mission in Rule of Law objectives and other significant documents related to pending legislation
- Participate in strategic planning and other high-level meetings with GIRoA counterparts and other stakeholders, socializing and forwarding JSSP objectives with regards to LCB and a sustainable JSSP transition
- Rapidly respond to requests for information from INL/K and INL/AP
- Mentor and develop internal capacity of JSSP Afghan staff to prepare for transition
- Draft and edit LCB-related reports and deliverables, including project success stories
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience, including relevant leadership experience and a Bachelor’s degree; Master’s preferred
- A minimum of four years’ substantive experience in a field relevant to their position
- A minimum of two years’ international experience, including development programs
- Experience developing positive, professional relationships with clients, colleagues, or business partners.
- Superior interpersonal skills; the ability to interact in a constructive, cooperative, and harmonious manner; to work effectively as a team player; to establish positive relationships and gain the confidence of others
- The ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. In addition, he or she must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours
Please submit a cover letter and resume to ApplyJSSP@tetratech.com referencing the job title and project name in the subject line. No phone calls, please
About the Organization
Tetra Tech is a global, leading consulting firm providing practical and sustainable international development services. From promoting peace, stability, rule of law, and economic growth, to health and education, to improved natural resource management, Tetra Tech brings an integrated approach that is focused on building the capacity of communities and individuals to create strong, healthy, and resilient societies. With over 16,000 employees in over 400 offices across the globe, Tetra Tech’s capabilities encompass the full life cycle of solutions. Tetra Tech is committed to diversity and gender equality in all of its operations, both in the US and overseas. We strive to reflect these goals in our global mission and in our workforce. We encourage applications from women and underrepresented ethnic, racial, and cultural groups. Tetra Tech is proud to be an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.