Job DescriptionI. Scope of Work
- Provide inputs on the Phase I analysis and findings report;
- Undertake desk research to identify and analyse exiting literature and data to understand the current situation on gender based violence in India and its relationship with women’s economic empowerment;
- Map existing and possible state instruments to address violence and boost public safety;
- Develop the overall research design and implementation plan for the impact evaluation of the women’s 181 helpline;
- Carry out a stakeholder analysis to bring out the roles, responsibilities and involvement of key players and institutions;
- Assist the IWWAGE team in undertaking other associated tasks that arise during the period of the contract.
III. Timeframe and deadlines
- Deliverable 1- A situation analysis report identifying status and a conceptual framework undertake the impact evaluation
- Deliverable 2- A final report clearly highlighting methods, literature reviewed and proposed recommendations to support the implementation of the 181 helpline
- Deliverable 3- A powerpoint presentation with all key findings, proposed approaches and recommendations.
- Deliverable 4- All primary data collected, validated and transcribed.
This assignment is for Consultants based out of India for a period of 6 months. The consultancy is subject to extension based on performance.
*Subject to change based on further discussions and agreement with Ministry of Women and Child Development
IV. Required Skills and Experience
Documents demonstrating technical expertise
- A post graduate or equivalent qualification/ degree in Gender Studies, Sociology, Economics, Behavioral Economics, Public Policy, Labour Studies, Humanities or any other relevant discipline.
- At least 10 years of prior work experience in the field of gender based violence, women’s labour force participation, gender and equity, behavioural economics etc. in the regional context.
- Profile of the consultant indicating why they are suitable for undertaking the assignment (maximum 1 page).
- Detailed methodology and conceptual framework with expected deliverables and timelines (maximum 3 pages).
- Recent and detailed CV
The financial proposal shall specify the total lump sum amount (including a breakdown of costs for fee, travel, and number of working days). The payments will be made upon the completion and submission of the deliverables specified.
- 30% on submission of the situation analysis report including work-plan and conceptual framework (not more than 25 pages)
- 40% on submission of final report (not more than 50 pages)
- 30% upon submission of powerpoint presentation and raw data sheets
About the Organization
The Initiative for What Works to Advance Women and Girls in the Economy (IWWAGE) aims at supporting solutions and transformative policies through a multi-stakeholder platform using evidence and research to ensure economic empowerment for women in India. The motivation for this initiative stems from the growing understanding that women’s economic empowerment will lead to sustainable economic growth and gender equity. While a lot has been done, there continues to be a need to identify existing challenges along with refining and introducing course-correction measures at the policy and ground levels. IWWAGE is housed at IFMR LEAD and funded by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
As a part of its ongoing work, IWWAGE aims to engage an independent consultant with expertise in Gender Based Violence to lead an impact evaluation of the 181 Women’s Helpline. The Scheme of universalisation of Women Helpline is intended to provide 24 hours immediate and emergency response to women affected by violence through referral (linking with appropriate authority such as police, One Stop Centre, hospital) and information about women related government schemes programs across the country through a single uniform number.
The evaluation is divided in two phases, and IWWAGE is currently in the process of undertaking a rapid assessment of the helpline, which will be feed into the second phase. Based on the insights drawn from phase 1, a more detailed impact evaluation plan will be developed. The broad objective will be to further delve into the findings to arrive more rigorously understand the state wise impact of the helpline. The evaluation will cover all the states and UTs in India, and will:
- Explore the current status of gender based violence in the country, and map existing state instruments to address violence and boost public safety;
- Understand the overall relevance of the helpline and its contribution towards reducing violence against women;
- Provide deeper insights into the state wise functioning of the programme through a ranking index developed at the end of the evaluation;
- Document and analyze beneficiary experience and view on the relevance, effectiveness and efficiency of the helpline after 2 years (2015-2017) of implementation;
- Assess the detailed processes followed across all states to effectively implement the helpline including the governance system ensuring proper referral and follow up;
- Use a gender and equity lens to understand what if at all are the barriers and challenges faced by women in accessing the helpline;
Suggest possible and feasible recommendations which can be adopted by MWCD for improved future course of action.