Position: Consultant - Disaster Risk Reduction and Management and Climate Change Adaptation Specialist (Filipino Nationals only)
Period: 9 months, between May 2016 – January 2017
Location: Tacloban, Philippines
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) seeks a highly experienced consultant for an upcoming Asian Development Bank (ADB) project to strengthen the capacity of local government units (LGU) to incorporate Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) and Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) in Comprehensive Land Use Plans (CLUPs) and Comprehensive Development Plans (CDPs) using geographic information systems (GIS). The assignment will be located in Tacloban, Philippines for approximately 9 months between May 2016 and January 2017. Project activities will be targeted in Typhoon Haiyan affected areas of Leyte and Samar islands. Applicants must meet the minimum requirements given below.
CRS has an extensive presence in the Typhoon Haiyan affected areas of Leyte and Samar, where we are operating a combined $80 million recovery program. Accomplishments to date include rebuilding and repair 20,000 homes and household sanitation for 18,000 families.
The DRRM/CCA Specialist will report directly to the Team Leader and will ensure the quality of the DRRM and CCA interventions that will be implemented under the TA. The consultant will be responsible for supporting LGUs in the preparation of risk-sensitive land use and development plans, and disaster risk reduction and management, and climate change adaptation (DRRM/CCA) plans and providing appropriate training.
- In coordination with the team leader and other experts, undertake capacity and needs assessment among participating LGUs to carry on DRRM and CCA analysis and plans;
- Coordinate with GIS specialist on mapping system and hazard, vulnerability, and risk assessment;
- Provide technical inputs during onsite hands-on coaching and mentoring to target LGUs in the preparation of their respective risk-sensitive CLUPs and CDPs, in coordination with the Land Use Planner;
- Review and provide comments on the DRRM and CCA Plans prepared by the LGUs;
- Develop training strategies and plans based on a clustered approach of LGUs;
- Conduct training to LGUs on more effective disaster strategy and provide technical inputs for the preparation of DRRM and CCA plans based on results of assessments;
- Conduct training, provide lectures, and technical inputs during DRRM and CCA training; and
- Report periodic progress and consolidated accomplishment to be submitted to the Team Leader with copy to the LGUs concerned
- At least 10 years work in disaster risk management and related fields;
- Holds a Bachelor’s degree in environmental management, climate change, urban/regional planning or related engineering/science discipline with an advanced degree in a related discipline an asset;
- Working knowledge in conducting vulnerability analysis and in-depth understanding of DRRM and CCA and experience in preparing development investment packages that can be used by LGUs;
- Extensive experience as trainer on DRRM, CCA, and related applications;
- Ability to work with LGUs, DPs, private sector and communities in building sustainable capacity to address issues related to climate change and disaster risk;
- Experience working with international consultants or international/national agencies;
- Ability to report effectively in consultations and to produce policy briefs as appropriate;
- At least 3 years project experience, working with governments (national and local), development partners, private sector and other stakeholders
Interested candidates should send their curriculum vitae and cover letter, in English by February 21, 2016 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note the position title in your subject line.
About the Organization
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. To fulfill this mission, Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is constantly pursuing highly motivated individuals who can bring innovation and develop opportunities to enable the communities we serve to reach their full potential in the context of just and peaceful societies.