TERMS OF REFERENCE: CONSULTANT
Regional and National Faith and Development Projects Final Evaluation
1. PROJECT BACKGROUND
World Vision US has been funding country and regional projects to advance its Faith and Development priorities. These projects mainly focus on the themes of partnering with churches, interfaith engagement and peacebuilding, spiritual nurture of children, contextualization of approaches in multi-faith and fragile contexts, and equipping of staff as Christian development practitioners. In the last 5 years, WVUS has funded $5.7M / year for 35 F&D projects (7 Regional Office RO and 28 National Office NO). Twenty-three of these projects are nearing an end and expected to be evaluated in 2019 (see Annex A for a list of projects and themes). This multi-country evaluation presents a good opportunity for World Vision US to not only look at the extent of individual project achievements and outcomes, but also build more evidence around F&D work and show the global impact of 5 years of dedicated funding.
Additionally, this evaluation will provide insight on the future investment of WVUS in the F&D area to support World Vision’s strategy. This strategy calls for prioritizing fragile contexts, inclusion of the most vulnerable, and technical, sectorial focus.
2. OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The objective of the assignment is to primarily guide the design of the final evaluations for 23 out of the 35 projects (7 regional and 16 national) in support of evidence building around the impact of F&D work, and secondarily to inform the way forward for F&D programming and funding.
3. SCOPE OF WORK AND DELIVERABLES
World Vision is currently procuring the services of a Consultant (independent consultant/academic partner) to undertake these tasks:
1) STUDY DESIGN: Design an overall multi-country study that will look at the extent of 23 projects’ achievements as well as outcomes for children, families, and communities (including churches and faith groups). The evaluation design includes the development of an overarching framework to guide the field-work in all the projects regardless of the themes they implemented, development of standard instruments for common indicators and measurements, field protocols for sampling, data collection, analysis and reporting, which can be easily adapted or used by all projects/countries. The study design should include how the data will be synthesized across project after field-work.
2) SELELECT FIELD-WORK LEADERSHIP: Lead or oversee in-country evaluations for a small subset of projects. The number of evaluations will be determined by the scope of the design, and budget.
3) SYNTHESIS REPORT: Synthesize findings/results across all projects in a final global report using data from regional and national offices (i.e. through a meta-analysis on pre-determined standard/common outcomes).
Deliverables will constitute: a) Multi-country, multi-intervention study design ; b) Package for field-work consisting of protocols for data collection, cleaning, analysis, instruments, ethical considerations etc. ready for the National/Country and Regional Offices; c) Brief technical reports for up to four select field-works led by the consultant; d) Synthesis report (outcome-focused through meta-analysis); e) All clean datasets for the field-work s/he leads (quantitative and qualitative), as well as the master dataset for all the projects used for the synthesis. Datasets should be accompanied by codebooks, dictionaries and final instruments used.
Note: Besides the 3-4 evaluations that the consultant will lead directly, the responsibility for the rest of the field-work completion will be on each country program/regional office.
This assignment is expected to require about 90 working days over a period of approximately 6 months starting January or February 2019. The assignment should be completed by July 30, 2019.
We are interested in the consultant assessing the feasibility of the task and proposing a more realistic number of working days or adjustment in the design approach to have the tasks completed by the deadline. Any proposed schedule will be finalized and agreed by World Vision US through the Evidence and Learning and Faith and Development teams.
For the deliverables, the Consultant will report directly to Cherry Marcelo, Program Manager, who will supervise the assignment on behalf of the Faith and Development Team. The F&D Team will engage with the Evidence and Learning team for internal technical reviews prior to accepting the final products. All products are to be written in English. The Consultant will provide an electronic version of all the required deliverables. The reporting will be completed in form and substance acceptable to contract manager.
For field work and coordination with the regional and national offices, the Consultant will work closely with the Faith and Development Program Managers.
The successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- The consultant will have a minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience of Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) of complex program evaluations and/or multi-country evaluation designs (preference for individuals with experience in leading or consulting on organization performance and impact measures)
- Knowledge on faith-based approaches and partnerships is essential
- Experience doing meta-analysis and meta-evaluation
- Capacity to think creatively and practically about multi-project evaluation
- Cross-cultural experience preferably in more than one region
- Strong written and oral communication skills. English fluency is essential
- Consultant must have a business license, FEIN, registered DBA, or State Tax ID.
7. CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT
All data and information received from World Vision for the purpose of this assignment are to be treated confidentially and are only to be used in connection with the execution of these Terms of Reference. All intellectual property rights arising from the execution of these Terms of Reference are assigned to World Vision. The contents of written materials obtained and used in this assignment may not be disclosed to any third parties without the expressed advance written authorization of World Vision.
8. OFFER SUBMISSION
The consultant is required to submit the following documents:
- CVs highlighting the experience required for the assignment for all proposed consultants
- One to two references for similar assignments. If available, one or two examples to illustrate similar type of work.
- Proposed workplan and budget for the assignment (including any supplies, software, etc.). Amount requested should be presented in two formats –per deliverable and as a fee per day. Agreement will be reached between WV and consultant on which format to use in the contract.
Please submit your documents to WVUS via email email@example.com. All submissions should be received by January 15, 2019 end of business hours.
Please refer to the complete TOR attached.