ACDI/VOCA is seeking a Consultant for Seed Sector Constraints Analysis and Comparative Study (Horticulture) for the USAID-funded Agriculture and Food Systems Development Activity (AFDA) in Myanmar. The AFDA facilitates the transformation of agriculture and food systems by increasing productivity, inclusiveness, and competitiveness of the agricultural market system in the zone of influence (ZOI) such as Kachin State, Shan State, Mandalay Region, Sagaing Region and Magway Region.
The objective(s) for the consultant will be to identify the key constraints preventing the horticulture seed sector from supplying high quality seeds in sufficient quantities that meet requirements of the end market. The assignment will support the strengthening of networks of seed suppliers and help to improve the capacity of existing private sector actors and seed producers.
The anticipated timeframe for this assignment is between August 1 to September 15, 2020 with up to 25 days of effort. The primary location of this assignment is Yangon, Myanmar.
- Seed constraints analysis in key horticultural crops, and benchmark analysis with competitor countries.
- Conduct a horticulture seed market assessment, looking both in Myanmar as well as in neighboring countries; focus on crops that have high value markets domestically as well as export potential and that provide significant incomes to target ethnic groups.
- Survey and document sources for quality seed and varietal diversity that meet the end-market requirements for horticulture crops. (Melon and key Vegetables crops, etc.)
- Assemble a comprehensive database of hybrid and OP horticulture seed suppliers operating in the local market as well as key competitor countries.
- Investigate the input supply chain models for Myanmar’s main competing countries, highlight successful systems, and compile data on usage of quality horticulture seed in those countries
- Design pilot approaches to increase access (both demand and supply) to high quality seed (technology, business models) for key horticulture crops
- Provide recommendations and potential piloting approaches for innovative business models that could help increase access to high quality horticultural seed.
- Master’s degree in Agriculture or related area
- At least 10 years’ experience working in the seed sector in breeding, sales, marketing, seed multiplication, seed contract farming models.
- Experience working with farmer/industry associations in seed supply chain.
- Broad experience in agriculture and rural development.
- Demonstrable experience implementing research, surveys, and creating innovative approaches based on evidence.
- Knowledge of Myanmar’s agricultural sector and exports
- Excellent spoken and written English
Interested consultant should submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 15, 2020 COB:
- CV specifically responding to required qualifications
- Sample work on market research and/or market intelligence report
- Cost proposal – to include the professional fees, per diem and other anticipated miscellaneous costs
Please include the position title in the subject line. The resume and related application documents shall be provided as a single attachment and list long-term employment history and any relevant short-term consulting work. Please highlight results of work done relevant to this scope of work.
Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone or email. Only shortlisted candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Since 1963 and in 148 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in agriculture, economic growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and social inclusion.