ACDI/VOCA is seeking a Consultant for Seed Sector Constraints Analysis and Comparative Study (Oilseeds and Pulses) for the USAID-funded Agriculture and Food Systems Development Activity (AFDA) in Myanmar. The AFDA facilitates the transformation of agriculture and food systems by increasing productivity, inclusiveness, and competitiveness of the agricultural market system in the zone of influence (ZOI) such as Kachin State, Shan State, Mandalay Region, Sagaing Region and Magway Region.
The objective(s) for the consultant will be to identify the main factors constraining the seeds sector of oilseeds and pulses crops to make available and accessible to oilseeds and beans & pulses producers good quality seeds of the right variety that will meet requirement of end market.
The anticipated timeframe for this assignment is between August 31 to September 30, 2020 with up to 25 days of effort. The primary location of this assignment is Myanmar.
- Seed constraints analysis for oilseeds and pulses and benchmark analysis of competitor countries.
- Investigate oilseed and pulse seed value chains to assess the performance of seed supply chain actors and the strength of Public/Private partnerships
- Assess the status of contract farming systems for seed production in pulses and oilseed crops.
- Identify the key constraints limiting commercial seed operations from effectively supplying the market
- Investigate constraints and opportunities to increase the sustainability of seed production, improve marketing for seed producer groups, increase engagement with lead farmers to encourage private sector-led PGS-OPV multiplication, and report on seed distribution methods to increase access for smallholder farmers of various ethnicities.
- Assess the seed registration and certification processes of certified seed in Myanmar.
- Research seed supply chain models of Myanmar’s main competing countries highlight successful systems, and report data on oilseed and pulse seed sales data from countries of interest.
- Design Pilot approaches to increase availability and access to seed (technology, business and marketing models) for oilseeds and pulses
- Provide recommendations and options for pilot approaches/business models that could increase availability and access to quality seeds of oilseeds and beans & pulse that meet the requirements of key markets.
- Master’s degree in Agriculture or related area
- At least 10 years’ experience working in seed sales and/or marketing, seed multiplication, seed contract farming.
- Experience working with farmer/industry associations in seed supply chain.
- Experience in agriculture and rural development.
- Demonstrable experience conducting research, carrying out surveys, and creating innovative approaches to seed sector development.
- Knowledge of Myanmar’s agricultural systems and export markets, preferably of oilseeds, pulses and beans
- Excellent spoken and written English
Interested consultant should submit the following to email@example.com by August 7th 2020:
- CV specifically responding to required qualifications
- Two samples of reports from similar research work
- References from previous similar engagement
- Cost proposal – to include the professional fees, per diem and other anticipated costs
Please include the position title in the subject line. The resume and related application documents shall be provided as a single attachment and list long-term employment history and any relevant short-term consulting work. Please highlight results of work done relevant to this scope of work.
Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone or email. Only shortlisted candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Since 1963 and in 148 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in agriculture, economic growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and social inclusion.