Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society.
Consultant/s, Sector Study on Oil Seeds and Pulses
ACDI/VOCA under the USAID-funded Feed the Future Bangladesh Rice and Diversifies Crops Activity (RDC) is seeking a Consultant/s to conduct a study to understand the market systems of the Oilseeds and Pulses sectors in the Feed the Future (FtF) zone. The activity is a five-year primary mechanism to support productivity and market systems development under USAID/Bangladesh’s FTF strategy, with the objective of improved food security through systemic changes that increase rural incomes and – via increased incomes, including women’s income, and incentivized crop diversification – to improved nutrition. USAID/Bangladesh’s RDC activity will foster growth and reduce poverty through improving the competitiveness, inclusiveness, and resilience of rice and other selected crops in the FtF Zone of Influence (ZOI) to the benefit of large numbers of men and women and their families in rural households, farms, and market systems.
Conducted in the FtF zones, the survey’s data will cover crop specific regions, actors with gender and multiple timelines (cropping season) and will try to capture the evolution/trajectory of the selected markets. The study will help RDC to formulate and develop the sector strategies for oil-seeds and pulses sectors, including identification key sub-sectors.
- Understand the market structure and dynamics of selected diversified crops.
- Use network analysis to map relationships between different actors and understand their incentive structure.
- Identify key systemic constraints in the selected sectors particularly around supporting functions (including those in relevant inter-connected markets).
- Present the trend (volume and sales per year) of agro input sold and output sourced in FtF zone disaggregated by type (e.g. seed, pesticides, fertilizer, irrigation etc). and by sub-sector and by appropriate geographic unit (e.g. districts, sub-districts, union etc) and time line (cropping season).
- Understand the trend of number of key large scale market actors and intermediate market actors (in gender perspective as well) operating in FtF zone disaggregated by type (e.g. input companies, millers, wholesale buyers, feed mills, retailers, traders, agro machinery tool companies etc.), average annual transaction volume, related crops/value chain and geographic unit.
- Experience in the delivery of similar type of services (business/enterprise/household surveys/sub-sector study) to government/ semi-government/ autonomous bodies/private sector (in Bangladesh or South Asia) during the last five years, with at least five such assignments;
- Strong reputation in the delivery of credible analytical and/or policy inputs particularly analysing value chains, market system strategy development or market assessments, with minimum five years of experience;
- Experience of undertaking similar study with qualitative and quantitative components,
- Ability to work with a local team of experts in various disciplines relevant to market system, value chain, agriculture (pulses and oil-seeds), FtF regions, with minimum 5 years of experience in working with local experts.
- Expert in oil seeds and grain legumes (pulses).
Please apply online at www.acdivoca.org/international-jobs. No phone calls please. No phone calls please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified women and minorities candidates. ACDI/VOCA will never solicit a payment from any applicant.
 Does not necessarily have to be for USAID projects, focus is on geographic locality i.e. districts in FtF zone.
About the Organization
ACDI/VOCA is a private, nonprofit organization that promotes broad-based economic growth and the development of civil society in emerging democracies and developing countries. Offering a comprehensive range of technical assistance services, ACDI/VOCA addresses the most pressing and intractable development problems. Driven by the goal of adding value to local enterprise, which underlies prosperity and stability, ACDI/VOCA works in five main practice areas: * Agribusiness * Enterprise Development * Financial Services * Community Development * Food Security The ACDI/VOCA Difference ACDI/VOCA has a proven record of development success dating back more than 45 years. This experience coupled with operational integrity, technical expertise and the ability to operate at scale means that clients and partners can always expect positive results from ACDI/VOCA. ACDI/VOCA is also distinguished by its: * identity as a nonprofit that means business * proficiency at grassroots, self-help organizing * private sector and market orientation * dedication to beneficiary gains in income, jobs and savings * leadership in value chain approaches to enterprise development * legacy of lasting institutions and organizations * vast talent bank * experience working on a regional/global scale * network of U.S. and international partners * systems approach to technical solutions and operations * grants-management capacity * cutting-edge approaches to fragile/failing states, trade capacity building, public-private partnership, information and communications technology and integrated HIV/AIDS programming * experience with large indefinite quantity contracts (IQCs)