Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities (CRPD) Consultant
Location: Home base with one workshop in either Baghdad or Erbil
Time: 40 days (6 days in Iraq and 34 from home) between December 2012 to May 2013
Since September 2003, IFES has assisted, advised, and supported Iraq’s electoral authorities in the preparation, organization, and administration of elections and referenda. With the Elections Support Project, IFES will continue to provide assistance to the Independent High Electoral Commission (IHEC) through strengthening its strategic planning monitoring and evaluation capacity, as well as its internal management processes and systems, and through improving IHEC’s capacity to manage external affairs with key electoral stakeholders.
Iraq signed the Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities (CRPD) in January 2012 and the IHEC is considering how to ensure that its regulations, informational products and electoral premises are compliant with Iraq’s international treaty obligations.
The CRPD Advisory Consultant will work in close cooperation with IFES Iraq Chief of Party and External Relations Advisor on reviewing existing IHEC regulations and procedures and draft recommendations for CRPD compliance. These activities can be undertaken from the Consultant’s home base. The Consultant will then travel to either Erbil or Baghdad to give a three-day workshop on CRPD to present the findings of the review and recommendations:
- Conduct a CRPD Audit of the IHEC regulations and procedures for the April 2013 elections;
- Draft preliminary recommendations for amendments to these regulations and procedures for the April elections
- Draft final recommendations for amendments to IHEC regulations and procedures for the national elections in 2014.
- Present the results of the final review of regulations and procedures and the recommendations at a workshop in either Erbil or Baghdad after the GCE elections.
- Preliminary recommendations on amendments to the IHEC regulations and procedures (in Arabic and English); - January 2013
- Final recommendations on amendments to regulations and procedures (in Arabic and English); - March 2013
- Agenda, presentation, and training materials (in Arabic and English) for three day workshop – April 2013;
- A three-day workshop on CRPD to present the findings of the review and recommendations – May 2012;
- Final report, including recommendations – May 2013.
- MA or LLM in human rights law or relevant discipline;
- Demonstrated experience in the field of disability issues research; evaluation; and consultation;
- Prior experience working with the CRPD and other relevant international or regional agreements;
- Regional experience in working with a range of stakeholders (government, NGOs) on disability rights;
- Excellent analytic and writing abilities;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Fluency in English and Arabic required;
- Electoral experience desirable.
- Applications will be accepted online only, through the IFES website. To apply visit our careers website at http://www.ifes.org/About/Careers.aspx . Then follow the instructions on how to upload your resume and answer prescreening questions. A cover letter is welcome and can be placed in the applicant notes section.