NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the consultant position of Cooperative Business Policy Specialist to support NCBA CLUSA’s Supporting the Enabling Environment for Cooperatives in Madagascar project funded by USAID’s Cooperative Development Program. The Cooperative Business Policy Specialist will work closely with the Madagascar-based lawyer to assess the country’s current cooperative law, decree and policy and draft a revised law.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Work closely with the Madagascar-based lawyer and project team to assess Madagascar’s cooperative law, decree and policy using/adapting the CLARITY assessment tool;
- Serve as an advisor to the local lawyer;
- Contribute to the drafting of a revised cooperative law;
- Provide recommendations on accompanying policies and regulations and the national strategy for cooperative development;
- Participate in stakeholder workshops, working groups, and focus groups;
- Provide basic training in cooperative business legal frameworks/enabling environments to local stakeholders (government officials, cooperative leaders, donors, NGOs, etc)
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Expertise in legal frameworks (laws, policies, regulations) for cooperative businesses
- High proficiency in French language (written and spoken) required
- Knowledge of the CLARITY cooperative law and regulation initiative preferred, but must be willing to use/adapt the CLARITY assessment tool
- Experience working with cooperatives in the international development context
- Capacity in training
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
To apply, please send a resume or CV and a cover letter to email@example.com with subject line “Cooperative Business Policy Specialist – Madagascar” Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please. NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.
About the Organization
Celebrating 100 years of supporting cooperatives that build a better world, the National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the apex association for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector support, advocacy and international development that helps co-ops thrive. NCBA CLUSA continues to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals, families, and communities. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 85 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America.