Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
The Rwanda Integrated Health Systems Activity (RIHSA) is a three-year project funded by the U.S Agency for International Development (USAID) based in Kigali, Rwanda. RIHSA works to reduce the financial barriers to healthcare in Rwanda through a mix of public and private interventions. RIHSA works to improve the quality of essential health services at national, facility, and community levels utilizing a health systems approach.
Purpose of Position: The Chief of Party is a full-time position for the Rwanda Integrated Health Systems Activity based in Kigali Rwanda. The project aims to further strengthen the health system in Rwanda to provide quality health care services for Rwandans, increase financial protection and promote self-reliance.
The Chief of Party will be responsible for the overall technical and administrative management and implementation of the project and will be the senior in-country project representative with overall responsibility for supervising project staff, and managing relations with partners and sub-contractors, both international and local, and achieving the set results. The COP will take a leadership role to coordinate program activities among a diverse group of stakeholders and beneficiaries. The position is expected to be needed through the life of the program, dependent on donor funding.
This position is open to Rwandan and foreign nationals. Hiring will be immediately upon identification of qualified candidate, pending approval of donor. Ideal candidates should be able to start by August 1 if not earlier.
Project Management and Technical Leadership
- Leads and oversees a large, complex, international development program in-country, working closely with the DC-based PMU members to ensure project compliance with contract requirements, donor rules and regulations, and Palladium policies and systems;
- Serves as Palladium’s representative for the project in-country, providing both technical leadership and management strategy for project implementation, ensuring activities are performed to a high professional standard, and all technical objectives are met;
- As the primary liaison to the client, builds productive working relationships through open communication with all project stakeholders including USAID/the client, field team, home office team, government counterparts, grantees, subcontractors, and other client implementing partners;
- Confers with USAID management on strategic issues to maximize impact and scale, minimize costs, and ensures both efficiency and sustainability in achieving project requirements;
- Reports to, and works in partnership with, the DC-based PD engaging in frequent, routine communication so that the home office is aware of both progress and potential challenges, and solicits assistance and input as needed to ensure that performance meets or exceeds technical and financial contractual requirements;
- Responsible for overseeing preparation of the annual workplan, and ensuring all staff and stakeholders participate in the planning process; Supervises progress against the workplan, including coordinating activities between staff and offices;
- Oversees creation and implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities, including regular monitoring and reporting against selected indicators;
- Ensures the appropriate implementation of accounting, personnel, IT, and operating procedures are consistent with Palladium and client policies as well as tailored to meet local needs;
- With the support of the PMU and local staff, works to recruit, hire, and manage both long and short-term staff needed to carry out activities;
- Oversees preparation of reports and other technical deliverables, including quarterly and annual reports, coordinating with the PMU for properly reviewed financial data and technical inputs;
- Manages subcontractors to ensure that their performance meets or exceeds technical and financial contractual requirements;
- Actively participates in knowledge sharing by participating in local, national, and international meetings and events as appropriate.
Risk Management: Identifies, monitors and actively manages, mitigates, and resolves risks to project implementation.
Supervision and Human Resource Management: Mentors and evaluates assigned staff, communicating clear performance goals and standards, offering regular performance feedback and prompt resolution of problems, and time and opportunity to grow and develop in competency areas.
- MPH, MSc, MA, MBA or similar with a focus on Public Health, Health Economics, Policy and Governance, Management or related field.
- At least 15 years’ experience in senior-level implementing and managing complex health programs with an emphasis on health systems strengthening, health financing, and health sector policies and strategies.
- Demonstrated technical depth and understanding of the health policy environment and governance in Rwanda or in a country of similar development context; experience in Rwanda strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated success managing complex international donor programs including strong cost containment and client satisfaction; previous USAID project management experience strongly preferred.
- Experience building and maintaining partnerships with other projects, local organizations, host country governments and international agencies.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills in English required; French strongly preferred
Excellent leadership and adaptive management skills.
- Professional and mature demeanor and conduct.
- Ability to take initiative and/or respond independently to situations.
- Work well with limited oversight and with diverse cross-cultural groups, partners, and colleagues.
- Must be willing to live and travel within Rwanda