Do you have at least 1-2 years of copy editing and content management experience? Are you excited to be a part of a company that has a social impact focus and an open, teamwork-focused culture? Read on.
You’re detail-oriented and have an open and collaborative attitude. You thrive in an environment where you’re responsible for your own work (but you get the support you need). You know how to manage competing priorities and smoothly juggle working with reporters and a news production team. You always strive to be the best communicator in the room
What you’ll do here
What kind of impact will you make? As a copy editor, you will be responsible for copyediting a wide range of articles, newsletters, and special reports. You’ll also ensure accuracy and overall quality of Devex publications. Your first year will look a little bit like this…
- Copy edit 6+ stories for Devex daily, including abstracts, headlines, and layout.
- Copy edit other Devex content, including special reports, external emails, or social media copy, on a needs-basis.
- Perform daily newsletter checks and sign off.
- Other duties as assigned.
In your first 90 days you’ll:
- get to know the team, copyedit all types of content, contribute to creation of newsletters, keep content spreadsheets up-to-date, and manage daily and weekly deadlines in conversation with our editors and reporters.
By the time you finish your first year you’ll have:
- Successfully worked with reporters and the News Production Team, mastered AP style, and worked on and improved on a number of different types of newsletters, as well as other types of content.
To fit well in this role you must be truly sharp, an excellent copy editor, and someone with the communications skills that attract colleagues to want to work with you. You also must have:
- 2+ years of copy editing experience and copy management.
- Familiarity with AP style.
- Native English level with excellent editing skills, including particular attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and strong problem-solving capabilities.
- Relevant undergraduate degree.
Besides the basics, here’s what we’d love to see you have experience in:
- Work experience at a media organization.
- Remote work experience across multiple timezones.
- Native familiarity with social media and multimedia tools.
- Experience in the developing world and a global mindset.
- You haven’t just heard of the World Bank and the Gates Foundation; you actually know what they do and how they work.
What We Offer You
Being part of the Devex team is a partnership. We strive to make Devex a place where you can thrive and do your most inspirational work. Here are a few benefits we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Computer of your choice (Linux or macOS) and accessories
- Private health insurance plan
- Learning benefit
- Apart from standard paid vacation leave, two additional weeks off: one in August and Christmas through New Years.
- Two Yay Days (extra holidays with the condition that you have to do something awesome and share a picture of it!)
- A fully stocked snack pantry, fruits, coffee & tea bar (once we reopen our office after the pandemic)
- Regular social events and wellness activities (once we reopen our office after the pandemic)
- Intro Interview with Diana Palomares, People Operations
- A take-home challenge
- Interview with Honesty Pern, News Production Senior Manager
- Final stage interview with Debbie Charles
We encourage applications from all backgrounds! We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Devex. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Ready to get started? Apply now! We will accept applications until January 31, 2021.
About the Organization
At Devex, our vision is to do more good for more people in the global development community. We’re a media platform that connects 1+ million development professionals with news, jobs, content series, events, and funding.
When you become a Devexer, you’re not only joining a global company but a team of 120+ passionate people who value our guiding principles:
- We champion global development professionals.
- We focus on impact.
- We embrace transformation.
- We work together.
- We feel urgency
Want to know more about us? Check out the following pages:
About Devex: https://pages.devex.com/about-devex