Job DescriptionCorporate Services Director
Devex is currently assisting an international organization in search of a dynamic Corporate Services Director to manage the institute’s annual budget of USD 90 million and lead the finance and operations staff based in Kenya and Ethiopia. They are particularly interested in hearing from suitably qualified women.
The Director of Corporate Services reports to the Director General (CEO) and is a member of the senior management team. S/he will be involved in strategic planning as well as a host of continuous improvement initiatives that will prepare this established organization for tomorrow’s challenges. We require an excellent leader, people person, strategic communicator and relationship builder.
- Advise the Director General and members of the Institute Management Committee on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters;
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the Director General informed of all critical matters;
- Actively contribute as a member of the Institute Management Committee (IMC) to the firm’s strategic goals and overall institutional management with particular emphasis on the integration of research, financial and business operations;
- Develop and execute strategic and financial and risk management plans, projects and business solutions that improve support services to the Institute’s research work;
- Promote good stewardship, values and accountability through effective and innovative financial systems, policies, procedures and capacity enhancement processes and methods that improve efficiency, productivity, preservation and security of people and assets;
- Provide user/client focused solutions, based on strategic leadership of the support services departments (Finance, ICT, Supply Chain, Housing, Catering and Conferencing, Facilities &; Infrastructure, Transport and Security) and effective management of the quality of the Institute’s service delivery outputs and outcomes;
- Manage the positioning of the firm within the CGIAR and ensure compliance with CGIAR standards and global best practice;
- Fully represent the Institute internally and externally at all levels with respect to financial and support services and act as a source of expert functional referral by the organization’s staff and stakeholders;
- Oversight and management of all of non-research, physical infrastructure with particular emphasis on leading;
-The preparation and implementation of long term maintenance plans for existing
-The preparation and execution of plans, subject to appropriate cost-benefit analyses, for new infrastructure developments;
- Oversight and management of the firm’s shared ICT service through the joint steering committee currently chaired by the International Center for Research on Agroforestry (ICRAF)
- Oversee the work and professional development of the Head of Finance and the broader finance team to ensure the continuous improvement of financial support services;
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement across all of the Corporate Services Department. Monitor staff performance and development goals and ensure compliance with People and Organizational Development policies and procedures;
- Upgrade and implement policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures at Headquarters and all other regional/country offices;
- Support establishment of new offices and ensure appropriate levels of legal, financial and operational support to new and existing country/field offices. Ensure that appropriate Host Country Agreements/ Hosting Agreements and infrastructure/office facilities are in place.
- MBA or equivalent and finance/accountancy qualification
- 5-10 years’ experience in a senior management role
- Strong track record in leading the finance and operations function of an organization operating in a complex, fast changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage operations effectively
- Experience in introducing and managing change initiatives in financial and operations management
- Demonstrated ability to recommend or make decisions, including difficult ones, in a complex,changing environment
- Ability and interest in continuous learning that deepens understanding of the dynamics of the internal and external environments in which a not-for- profit, publicly funded research institute operates today
- Demonstrated ability to work in multi-cultural settings and to build productive relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders
- Working experience outside the candidate’s home country is required; preference will be given to experience gained in developing countries
- Experience in similar organizations (science-based, public/private research, consulting firms) is desirable
- Experience in business development and/or resource mobilization highly desirable
- Essential personal qualities: integrity, responsiveness and decisiveness
The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
The position level is 6A
3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for the organization. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The firm is an equal opportunity employer.