Job DescriptionPathfinder Overview
Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
Country Coordinator Consultant
Summary: Working closely with and overseen by the assigned Senior Program Director for Asia and North Africa, the Country Coordinator will provide strategic program and country management support. Working with Program Officers, and in-country partners of Pathfinder International, the Country Coordinator will work locally, and in-collaboration with US and Asia based offices, to ensure effective and efficient delivery of project management; contribute to business development efforts; represent Pathfinder in the country of Myanmar; work with the Senior Program Director and local and international organizations to design coordinated strategies to advance Pathfinder’s Myanmar program; and facilitate and contribute to overall organizational efforts to fulfill and enhance Pathfinder’s mission.
Key Consultancy Outcomes:
Minimally Required Consultancy-Specific Competencies:
- New Business Development and Networking: Represents Pathfinder and the Myanmar Program and projects in professional circles through participation in meetings and conferences and conducting presentations when needed. Work with the Senior Program Director to identify and act on new business opportunities. Actively participate in coordination with other Pathfinder Business Units, lead or assist in the preparation of funding proposals/concept notes, strategies, work plans and assessments; compilation and analysis of relevant data and documents; aligning of project proposals with budgets and other required activities to ensure submission of strong technical and financial proposals.
- Strategic Program and Partnership Management: Provides strategic programmatic partnership and management in Myanmar. Develops strong partnerships with local and international counterparts, including stakeholders, implementing agencies and donors, contributing to the growth and sustainability of Pathfinder’s Myanmar program. Support quality implementation of ongoing activities; cultivate strong and strategic partnerships with relevant stakeholders and proactively maintain donor relationships. Constantly assess and update the Senior Program Director on the evolving environment at the country level, recommending tactical and strategic shifts depending on developments. Work with Pathfinder local partners to ensure operational support to project/program activities are delivered effectively and efficiently, using standardized project management tools and resources and within Pathfinder’s operational policies and procedures and of acceptable quality. Assist with program start-up, including staff recruitment and hiring of key positions, technical orientation, partner orientation and management.
- Performance Monitoring, Program Quality and Reporting: Participate in and contribute to periodic technical, program and financial review meetings, preparation and review of donor reports among others. Work collaboratively with technical leadership and local counterparts to produce quality and timely reports for internal and external stakeholders.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
- Country Specific Public Health System- Myanmar. Strong knowledge of the public health systems.
- Program Planning and Management: Advanced skills developing strategic and tactical programming plans in cooperation with others who represent a wide range of interests and needs.
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) Services: Advanced knowledge of comprehensive (SRHR) principles, practices and services, especially as related to adolescents and youth. Ability to provide technical support to Pathfinder’s SRHR programming in the country. Interest and commitment to improving access to family planning and reproductive health services.
- Networking and relationship building and skills, able to influence.
- New Business Development: Advanced skills in new business/resource development, including proposal management, program design and proposal writing.
- Experience living and working in developing/Pathfinder countries.
Minimally Required Education, Training and Experience:
- PC Applications: Advanced knowledge of MS Office products, including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Languages: Advanced English writing and speaking skills. Knowledge of local language an advantage.
- Communication: Advanced oral and written communication skills, Advanced knowledge of report writing.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health: Commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices.
- Influencing and Customer Service Skills: Demonstrated influencing and diplomacy skills. Advanced customer service skills.
- Organization, Planning and Multi-tasking: Advanced organizational and planning skills, project planning and management skills. Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision.
- Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented, and ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
- Confidentiality: Proven ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related issues.
- Master’s degree in public health or related field, or a combination of education and experience that yields the required key competencies
- 7 years relevant work experience to include managing donor relations (governments, corporate and foundation) and in-country counterpart relations (Ministry of Health and local organizations/partners and stakeholders)
- Travel required (30% or less, mainly in-country)
- Uses cellular and desk phone; laptop or desktop computer
- Comfortable using platforms Microsoft office package including SharePoint, OneNote, Excel
About the Organization
Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.