FHI 360 is a global development organization with a rigorous, evidence-based approach. Our professional staff includes experts in health, nutrition, education, economic development, civil society, environment and research. FHI 360 operates from 60 offices with 4,400 staff in the U.S. and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at every level and our multidisciplinary approach enable us to have a lasting impact on the individuals, communities and countries we serve–improving lives for millions. We seek qualified candidates for the position of Country Coordinator
in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
FHI 360 seeks an experienced Country Coordinator for the regional USAID/West Africa Agir pour la Planification Familiale (AGIR-PF) Project for its Burkina Faso operations. The AGIR-PF program and USAID/West Africa (through its Regional Health Office) aim to increase access to and use of quality family planning services across select urban and peri- urban areas in four focus West African countries - Burkina Faso, Mauritania, Niger and Togo. The program will:
- Support and increase the delivery of quality FP information, products and services;
- Adapt and implement evidence-based service delivery approaches; and
- Coordinate efforts to remove policy barriers and improve contraceptive commodity security to provide backstopping and support to ensure the timely and effective implementation of the Project’s activities in West Africa.
- Lead the design and implementation of project activities at country level. These activities may include the following systems areas of focus, as relevant to family planning in Burkina Faso: delivery of services/systems of care, commodities/supply chain management; capacity building, policy, governance, and advocacy.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the AGIR-PF Project in Niger, including general financial oversight and programmatic monitoring under the direction of the AGIR-PF Chief of Party, ensuring the quality and timeliness of all activities.
- Help ensure that AGIR-PF programming in Burkina Faso complies with priorities and systems of the Government of the Burkina Faso, USAID/Burkina Faso, and FHI 360/global rules and regulations, and that systems are in place so that local implementing agencies fully comply with programming, implementation, reporting and evaluation procedures.
- Draw on regional best practices and lessons learned to strengthen comprehensive, integrated FP services, including provision of information and contraceptive commodities
- Provide ongoing programming/technical support and guidance to build the capacity of the host government and civil society in coordinating, managing and implementing FP services.
- Conduct appropriate monitoring of subprojects to achieve financial, administrative, and programmatic goals.
- Participate in strategic planning and resource development efforts to identify resource development opportunities and participate in proposal development, if necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Contribute to AGIR-PF /FHI 360 annual strategic planning, work planning and budgeting processes, as well as support for donor/government coordination, planning and monitoring activities, etc.
- Act as liaison with the key government FP coordinating bodies, the Ministry of Health, key line ministries, USAID/Burkina Faso, other USAID-funded programs on the ground, the private sector and other stakeholders, playing a coordinating role as needed.
- Manage the selection, development, supervision and evaluation of assigned staff and budgets including recruitment, establishment of performance expectations, performance assessments, recommended action based on performance (e.g., recognition, disciplinary action).
- Ensure that programming activities are aligned with Government of Burkina Faso priorities.
- Provide leadership and team building at the project level.
- Represent AGIR-PF /FHI 360 with external audiences as needed.
- Represent AGIR-PF /FHI 360 to external organizations at professional meetings and conferences as assigned.
- Maintain constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners.
- Frequent interaction with AGIR-PF/FHI 360 staff in the region and HQ office to resolve problem situations with tact.
- Routine coordination with FHI 360 employees and consultants, on-site and in the field.
- Develop and maintain compatibility among FHI 360/Burkina Faso staff, subcontractors, consultants, government representatives, local health and research professionals, and recipients of assistance.
- Capable of performing the responsibilities of an Associate Director, Grade 8
- BS/BA in public health or related field, and 10-15 years direct experience managing FP/RH programs, with senior-level project/program management experience
- or MS/MA in public health or related field, and 7-10 years direct experience managing FP/RH programs, with senior-level project/program management experience.
- Experience working regionally with mobile populations strongly desired.
- Experience must reflect knowledge, skills and abilities listed above, including written and spoken French and English fluency.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with the design, management and implementation of FP/RH programs.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences across countries and understanding of the socio-economic and political situation in Burkina Faso and the ethical issues surrounding FP.
- Proven facility to coordinate large, comprehensive and integrated health and development programs.
- Familiarity with Government of Burkina Faso and donor-funded programs and their communication styles.
- Ability to organize systems to monitor administrative as well as project results.
- Capacity to perform independently with initiative to manage high-volume work flow while also working well with others, to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance.
- Strong verbal, written, organizational and analytical skills.
- Relevant language skills: French and English fluency required.
- Relevant computer software skills.
FHI 360 has a competitive compensation package. Interested candidates may register online through FHI 360’s Career Center at www.fhi360.org/careercenter
or through the Employment section at www.fhi360.org
. Please submit CV/resume and cover letter including salary requirements. Please specify source in your application.