Oversee all programme and support activities in-country. Representing Medair in all issues relating to the country programme, the Country Director (CD) plays a key role in donor relations, security management and manages the country strategy and the project implementation in conjunction with senior field managers.
Medair is currently implementing WASH and Food Security projects in Central Highlands (CHL) which also include Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Food Assistance (cash for work) components when needed. Medair AFG is also operating in the Southern region of Afghanistan implementing lifesaving nutrition projects through mobile clinics combined with WASH and Food Security activities focusing on Internally Displaced People (IDP) and conflict affected communities.
Field based position in Kabul, Afghanistan. Take a look at Medair’s work in Afghanistan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
September 2018. Full time, minimum 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Leadership and Management
- Design, update and evaluate the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant senior field managers and HQ staff. Take into account community needs, donor criteria and strategies and an exit strategy in order to facilitate the long-term planning and development of the projects in the country.
- Support and oversee the monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the implementation of the planned activities in accordance with the project proposals and logical frameworks and institutional donor policies and guidelines.
Donor Relations Management
- Develop and maintain contact with the in-country representatives of relevant funding partners (e.g. institutional donors) in order to secure funding for the country programme.
- Oversee the drafting and presentation of all proposals, operational and financial reports related to the country programme, in collaboration with the relevant senior field managers and HQ staff.
- Develop and maintain relationships with authorities, donors, media, other NGOs and embassies with the objective of raising public awareness and identifying funding opportunities and other potential partnerships.
- Support the planning and construction of project budgets, in collaboration with relevant senior field managers and HQ staff.
- Manage the spending within the programme in-line with the approved budgets. Analyse projected cash flow, decide on the timing of major procurements, oversee audits and anticipate where over or under spending may occur and ensure necessary action is taken.
- Oversee all HR related issues within the programme including job descriptions, recruitment, performance management, development and training, health and safety, team structures, disciplinary action, etc. in collaboration with the relevant staff and managers.
- Day to day management of security and of the Security Management team (SMT).
- Coordination, information gathering and networking with other actors on security issues.
- Oversee the updating and implementation of country location security plans, guidelines and manuals.
- Ensure appropriate security procedures and awareness are maintained throughout the country programme.
- Take the lead on decision making and contingency planning during security incidents or threats.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Security management training desirable.
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years post-qualification experience in a management position.
- 1 years post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
- Advanced leadership and project management skills.
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Networking and advocacy skills desirable.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner; self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills in multicultural contexts.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.