The Country Director (CD) position is an exciting opportunity for a results-driven leader to guide a dynamic and talented team of staff and partners who are working to support job creation, poverty reduction, and economic growth in Myanmar. In particular the CD will have an interest in private sector initiatives that promote environmental sustainability. The CD will be responsible for exceeding program targets, and for the smooth and efficient running of all aspects of the country office, including, but not limited to, overall program strategy, quality implementation, external relations, finance, HR and logistics, as well as compliance with organizational, local, and donor rules and regulations. The CD is expected to successfully oversee a demanding workload that involves direct implementation and closely monitoring the day-to-day activities of the program. The CD will have a successful track record of managing missions in challenging environments along with demonstrated skills in cultivating and maintaining productive external relationships.
Responsibilities and Duties
Strategic Management and Leadership
- Lead country office and program, including facilitating project strategic planning, developing detailed program work plans, setting team and partner objectives, and designing monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL) framework;
- Lead the design of awareness raising campaigns that reach and engage businesses, communities, industries, and individuals;
- Identify development opportunities and implement fundraising strategy in partnership with Building Markets HQ;
- Oversee needs assessments, evaluations, and monitoring visits.
Program Management and Delivery
- Oversee and coordinate the program portfolio to ensure the highest level of project quality, impact, and accountability - including the timely execution of deliverables;
- Engage with all steps of the project management cycle (needs assessments, proposal development, implementation, monitoring, reporting, and evaluating);
- With the Finance and Administration Manager in Myanmar, and HQ, develop and implement protocol for engagement with Building Markets’ partners and sub-grantees – including implementation of Building Markets’ policies related to sub-grantees;
- Approve sub-grantee work plans and establish regular communication channels to ensure problems are identified early so that corrective measures can be implemented in a timely manner;
- Ensure proper management of large data sets and data systems;
- With HQ, ensure that Building Markets meets all contractual obligations and achieves high quality proposal and donor reports that are submitted on time;
- Attend regular meetings with HQ and partners to assure proper flow and maintenance of information;
- Ensure results and success stories are communicated appropriately and regularly.
- Represent Building Markets and its partners at the local and national level with government, business associations, corporations, and donors;
- Communicate effectively to ensure relationships are developed and maintained that promote program success;
- Liaise with senior managers of other relevant organizations to identify common challenges, solutions to operational concerns, and opportunities for partnerships;
- Delegate representation appropriately, based on activity streams;
- Travel as required.
Human Resource and Team Management
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect in which team members thrive and strive to achieve excellence;
- Promote accountability, regularly communicate expectations, and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews;
- Mentor field staff on management skills needed (planning, prioritization, organizational, financial management, representation, HR management);
Finance and Logistics
- Supervision of in-country operational budget, economy, and reporting from country office, together with other key staff members;
- Ensure Building Markets programs remain cost-effective, efficient, and comply with all organizational and donor standards of management and accountability;
- Supervise procurement processes and guarantee adherence to Building Markets and donor policies.
- Supervise preparation of monthly reports, ensuring all supporting documentation is in place;
- As part of budget management, provide financial approvals as per the matrix of delegated authority;
- Provide analysis to HQ as requested;
- Optimize funds and resources allocated to the implementation of the programs.
- Responsible for safety and security of all staff, based on organization’s security plan and policies.
Required Qualifications and Education
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Management, International Development, Law or related sector;
- Experience leading private sector or corporate social responsibility initiatives;
- Demonstrated senior management experience providing oversight in supervisory roles;
- Demonstrated experience achieving high impact targets in a fast-paced environment;
- Fluency in English required (both written and spoken);
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills;
- Experience implementing U.S. Government grants and familiarity with grant compliance requirements;
- Understanding of the Myanmar operating environment as it relates to the work of national and international NGOs;
- Strong work ethic and commitment to timely delivery of high-quality products;
- Demonstrable successful experience managing teams effectively, with effective interpersonal skills – including ability to constructively receive and provide critical feedback;
- Demonstrated experience directing and implementing new systems, processes and technology to enhance internal operations and program effectiveness.
- Myanmar language (oral and written)
- Experience managing multi-partner projects for international donors;
- Experience in waste management and recycling sectors;
- Experience working with multi-national corporations.
Reports to the Program Director at Headquarters
Full-time, 12-month contract
Travel in Myanmar. Possible travel in region and to HQ.
Salary commensurate with experience
Interested candidates are invited to send a CV/resume, cover letter, and three professional references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org later than September 30, 2018. The subject line must read “Country Director - Myanmar”.
About the Organization
About Building Markets
Founded in 2004, Building Markets is an award-winning nonprofit that creates jobs and encourages economic growth in crisis-affected countries by connecting competitive local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to supply chains and investment. Through this approach, the organization has built a network of more than 23,000 verified SMEs, assisted them in winning over $1.3 billion in contracts, and helped create over 70,000 jobs in countries like Afghanistan, Haiti, Timor-Leste, and Liberia. For more information, please visit www.buildingmarkets.org and https://entrepreneurs.buildingmarkets.org.
Building Markets has been operating a program in Myanmar since 2012. Through its services, the organization has supported more than 3,000 Myanmar-led SMEs in accessing new business and market opportunities. It will now expand its work supporting micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) in the waste management and recycling sectors in Yangon, Mawlamyine and Mandalay. This includes enhancing local business practices and standards; enabling more access to contracts and income; improving waste, health and safety conditions in some of the poorest communities; creating jobs and livelihoods; and, using innovative approaches to raise awareness and actively engage businesses, communities and stakeholders in opportunities to support recycling and waste management initiatives.