The Country Director (CD), Bangladesh is responsible for every aspect of program activities in Bangladesh, including:
- Overall resource generation (fund mobilization) for iDE Bangladesh programs
- Financial management and accountability for iDE Bangladesh programs
- Project accountability to individual donors
- Public identity in Bangladesh for iDE
- Country program planning, implementation, and performance review
- Staff management and development
- Developing a pipeline of work in Bangladesh
This position reports directly to the Global Operations Department, and receives technical and other support from iDE headquarters staff, iDE Canada, and from other Country Directors and their technical staff. The CD works closely with the iDE offices in Canada and the UK, when funding and program implementation are generated from those offices. As iDE’s representative in-country, the Country Director has responsibility and accountability for all of iDE’s finances, assets and legal standing in Bangladesh.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for someone who shares iDE values, passion, and commitment. Our selected Country Director must have well developed analytical and financial skills, understand how market systems operate, have a good comprehension of inclusive business models, and must bring leadership and technical competencies to ensure products and services are designed with ‘base of the pyramid’ clients to create inclusive social and economic impact. Above all, our new Country Director must know how to lead, motivate and inspire a team.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Link country activities to the overall strategy and performance improvement targets of iDE as a whole through developing country specific strategies and plans.
Raise funds for the implementation of iDE Bangladesh programs and their expansion by coordinating with international donors and other funding sources. This includes responsibility for:
- Development of funding strategies
- Identification of potential funding sources
- Securing grants
- Cost recovery of appropriate organizational expenses
- Preparation and submission of proposals with coordinated budgets
Day-to-day management of programs including:
- Appointment and supervision of program staff for iDE Bangladesh
- Review of existing accomplishments, target achievements, and strategies to date
- Implementation of effective decision-making systems – including internal management, etc.
- Overall reporting and communication internally and outside iDE
- Implementation and reporting for all projects
- Responsibility for ensuring that program design is in compliance with iDE’s corporate mission and objectives
- Responsibility for ensuring compliance with donor and iDE rules and regulations on program implementation
- Annual review of the performance service providers and grantees
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Finance and Administration Management
Provide administrative and financial management consistent with iDE organizational policies and procedures – in close cooperation with Operations and Finance– to the iDE program in Bangladesh. This includes responsibility for:
- Appointment and supervision of financial staff for iDE Bangladesh with support from with the Operations and Finance teams
- Development and maintenance of all administrative and financial controls and systems for all aspects of the Bangladesh program
- Responsibility for ensuring that administrative and financial procedures, practices and reporting are effective and in compliance with iDE standards and general accounting and administrative guidelines
- Responsibility for ensuring that all Bangladesh field offices are run in compliance with established administrative and financial procedures
- Responsibility for ensuring adherence to relevant Bangladesh Government regulations concerning operations of not-for-profit organizations in Bangladesh and for maintaining the good legal standing of iDE in Bangladesh.
Human Resource Management
Consistent with iDE organizational policies and procedures and in close cooperation with Operations and other iDE headquarters staff, develop and manage Human Resource functions for all iDE Bangladesh a personnel including:
- Preparation of job descriptions
- Identification, funding and hiring of personnel
- Development and implementation of salary and benefit policies and procedures
- Discipline and grievance issues
- Implementation of annual performance reviews for all staff
- Staff induction, professional development and training
- Compliance with Bangladesh’s labor laws, insurance and tax regulations
Maintain collaborative relationships at all levels of the organization, by:
- Ensuring good communication with iDE headquarters, iDE UK, and iDE Canada, including timely submission of program reports, financial reports, planning documents and reports to donors
- Ensuring good communication with other iDE country programs and committees
- Developing and maintaining excellent working relations with relevant donors, national and regional governments, and NGO, public and private sector representatives
- Participating in collaborative efforts with other NGOs, national and local governments, donors, public and private sector partners, etc.
- Degree in Business Management, International Development, Economics or related field or equivalent experience; advanced degree preferred
- At least 5 years of relevant senior management experience required; 8 years or more preferred
- Ability to think innovatively and to see where opportunities exist for iDE to use technology (GIS, ICT, etc.) for planning and implementing operations
- Proven track record of successful business development experience (grants and/or contracts); additional experience in fundraising preferred
- Technical knowledge of WASH, market systems programming, agriculture, nutrition, climate smart technologies, financial inclusion, investment, trade facilitation etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of constituencies and lead a strong team in a diverse community
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and to foster a cooperative environment with peers in other iDE offices
- Proven know-how in monitoring and evaluation and adaptive management
- Proven track record of working in multicultural environment
- Proven ability to manage finances and use financial management information systems
- Experience in supporting social enterprise development and management is a plus
- Strong management and problem-solving skills; effective use of independent judgment
- Proficiency in MS Office suite; experience with G Suite preferred
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Frequently required to perform work outside normal work hours
- Frequently required to travel domestically and/or internationally, sometimes in difficult environments
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position
iDE takes pride in our talented and diverse workforce. Minorities, women, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Hiring, promotion, and compensation of employees are conducted without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
About the Organization
iDE is an international NGO with over 30 years of experience in designing and delivering market-based anti-poverty programs in 10 countries. iDE is headquartered in Denver, Colorado USA and operating in 11 countries around the world, including Bangladesh. In Bangladesh, iDE has been working since 1984, and now maintains an active presence in 27 Districts and 123 Upazilas on a wide variety of thematic areas including Food Security, Nutrition, WASH, Agriculture, Market Systems Development, Women Economic Empowerment. iDE Bangladesh is supported by USAID, SIDA, Unicef, DFID, the European Commission and other multilateral donors working in the country. We are a world leader in making markets work for the poor as well as the longest established market development specialist NGO in Bangladesh. iDE believes that markets can be a powerful force for improving smallholder prosperity by creating income and livelihood opportunities for poor rural households.