IFES is seeking a Country Director for an anticipated electoral assistance program in Burkina Faso, contingent upon funding. The Country Director will serve as IFES’ primary in-country representative and coordinator of programming with local and international actors. The primary focus of the position is providing technical support to stakeholders and ensuring successful completion of project activities. The Country Director will provide vision and technical leadership for project activities. S/he will be responsible for maintaining pro-active contacts with stakeholders and the international community. The Country Director will direct technical implementation of IFES’ program in Burkina Faso and oversee management of the field office under this program.
Technical Direction and Program Implementation
• Serve as IFES’ senior election technical advisor for assigned project, providing technical support and advice to various government and non-government stakeholders.
• Provide expertise on programming focused on inclusive, transparent electoral processes.
• Oversee the day-to-day management of IFES’ project(s) in the Burkina Faso.
• Oversee the design, implementation, and evaluation of program strategies and activities.
• Prepare and manage the implementation of the project(s) annual work plans in fulfillment of the project’s strategic objectives and goals, and within the allocated budget.
• Establish and maintain close working relationships with local government and non-government stakeholders, including high-level officials in government ministries and election management bodies.
• Establish and maintain working relationships with international NGOs and the donor community to ensure successful implementation of the project and avoid duplication of efforts.
• Coordinate closely with consultants and field experts on program components.
• Lead the drafting and timely submission of detailed, combined quarterly reports to HQ, and ensure that they meet donor and IFES reporting requirements.
• Contribute to weekly reports submitted to IFES HQ, providing updates on program activities, progress, and challenges; outreach activities; relevant events in Burkina Faso; support required from IFES/HQ; and activities planned for the coming period.
• Lead and/or contribute to written technical reports, briefing papers, and IFES thought pieces, both program-specific and non-program specific.
• Represent IFES in global, regional, national and sub-national events and in international meetings, at donor meetings and other fundraising activities, as speaker and/or spokesperson for IFES.
• Ensure the highest quality of program monitoring, evaluation, reporting, and communications.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Ensure, in conjunction with IFES HQ team, compliance with IFES and USAID rules and regulations, particularly with respect to fiscal management.
• Establish strong working relationships with the field staff to facilitate the completion of program tasks in a timely manner and within the allocated budget.
• Provide general supervision and mentoring of local and international field staff, including performance appraisals, staff development and other management issues.
• In coordination with IFES/HQ assist in the identification, recruitment, and hiring of in-country office staff, as well as local and international technical consultants.
• Provide oversight and management of technical consultants, including review of all consultant reports and deliverables.
• Assist in program development for IFES in Burkina Faso by identifying additional technical needs in-country, contributing to the development of project proposals and reaching out to the international donor community in an effort to diversify IFES funding sources.
POSITION SCOPE: Serves as primary in-country representative and directs the technical implementation of IFES programming. Oversees the management of assigned field office. In conjunction with IFES HQ, ensures compliance with IFES and USAID rules and regulations. Recommends policies, controls and procedures to guide performance.
DECISION MAKING/PROBLEM SOLVING: Evaluates risk factors with potential to disrupt achievement of strategic goals and sets appropriate course of action in response. Investigates and analyzes current information from various sources and in various formats to inform decision making and the development of protocols and procedures. Leads development and oversees implementation of strategies to track and mitigate risk and its potential impact.
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: Ensures the completion of program tasks in a timely manner and within the allocated budget. Ensures compliance with IFES, USAID or other donor rules and regulations, particularly with regard to fiscal management. Oversees preparation and presentation of financial reports to internal and external partners. Oversee and approve local and international procurement in accordance with IFES policies and USAID rules and regulations. Authority to regularly make purchases and incur expenses, subject to established controls and procedures.
RELATIONSHIPS: Serves as primary in-country representative of IFES with local and international actors. Develops, manages and maintains collaborative working relationship with senior level stakeholders within and outside IFES to ensure timely and successful achievement of project goals and objectives. Represents IFES in global, regional, national and sub-national events and in international meetings, and at donor events and fundraising activities, as a spokesperson for IFES
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervises and mentors local and international field staff and provides oversight and management of consultants and field experts. Leads project planning, monitoring and evaluation.
Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in international politics, international development, public policy, or related field preferred. Experience:
• Have minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience in the democracy and governance field, including a minimum of 7 years of experience with election administration and international program management;
• Have demonstrated experience in capacity building, electoral security coordination, election management/voter registration operations and/or strategic communications.
• Have demonstrated experience with election systems;
• Have demonstrated experience with monitoring and evaluation methodology;
• Have experience working in Francophone Africa, preferably in Burkina Faso and the Sahel.
• Have experience with USAID regulations and the implementation of US Government- funded project activities; and,
• Written and spoken fluency in French and English. Related Skills or Knowledge:
• Prior experience managing an international office in a politically sensitive, fast paced and challenging environment.
• Ability and skills to promote and inspire effective collaboration between individuals, organizations and networks, demonstrating strong diplomacy skills and cultural sensitivity.
• Strong consultative, collaborative and participatory way of working.
• Strong interpersonal, presentation, and communications skills to meet the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the program and to effectively coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders.
• Experience living and working overseas, preferably within the assigned region and/or other transition environments.
• Knowledge of local/regional politics and development preferred. Travel:
Travel required up to 50% of time Physical Requirements/Working Environment:
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
“All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor”
the essential functions of the job