1 April 2021
Kinshasa, with regular travel to Eastern DRC
War Child Canada is operational in six provinces of DRC (Kinshasa, South Kivu, North Kivu, Haut Katanga, Tanganyika and Ituri) with programming that focuses on increasing access to education. War Child Canada has been active in DRC since 2007 working in both education and the prevention and response to gender based violence (GBV). War Child Canada in the DRC is in a new phase of work reflecting a scale up of its innovate approach to reaching students who face barriers to education, such as conflict affected girls and boys, those living in remote settings, and those who have had their education interrupted by crisis. This includes substantive engage with the Ministries of Social Affairs and Education in Kinshasa to support this expansion of accelerated learning provision. We are looking for a Country Director to lead an exciting and innovative program, while also aiming to expand geographically and establish complementary programming.
The Country Director has overall responsibility for leading and managing War Child Canada’s strategy in DRC, providing directional oversight of programs and operations. The Country Director will actively seek opportunities for fund development and representation among key networks in Kinshasa to ensure the sustainability of the program and broaden the thematic focus of the country program.
Leadership and Management of the country program (30%)
· Lead the growth of War Child Canada’s DRC program.
· Develop annual plans and provide support and direction for implementation and oversight of service delivery.
· Oversee the fulfillment and contractual obligations of all narrative and financial reporting requirements.
· Oversee the development and implementation of its Country Strategic Plan, in close collaboration with Head Office and field staff.
· Provide oversight of War Child Canada’s programs.
· Build War Child Canada’s program through donor engagement, project design and proposal development, in collaboration with HQ.
· Responsibility for in-country fundraising with institutional donors.
Financial Management (15%)
· Overall responsibility for in-country budget and financial management, including reporting to Head Office.
· Maintain efficient financial controls, accountability standards, procedures and records.
· Prepare country budgets, oversee project budgets and monitor budget spending.
Maintain network of contacts and representation (10%)
· Initiate and engage in collaboration and consultation with local and central authorities, INGOs, national NGOs and local communities.
· Ensure appropriate communications, information exchange and sharing with local partners and with HQ.
· Represent War Child Canada in meetings and coordination platforms in Kinshasa and in Eastern DRC.
Human Resource Management (10%)
· Responsible for the oversight of all War Child Canada staff in DRC, across offices in Kinshasa and South Kivu.
· Oversees the recruitment of local staff as necessary.
· Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure strong human resource management and to contribute to a positive and equitable workplace.
Security Management (5%)
· · Maintain internal and external contacts with relevant parties and authorities related to security
· · Monitor the security context of the country to manage and mitigate security risks.
· Regularly update and implement War Child Canada’s security procedures and plans in coordination with HQ.
· · Master’s Degree or equivalent in International Development, Social Sciences, Education, or related subject
· · Minimum of 5 years senior management experience including experience in strategic planning processes.
· · Knowledge of at least one of War Child Canada’s programming focal areas.
· · Demonstrated track record in successful fundraising and donor engagement and development strategies.
· · Experience in project, financial and HR management, including mentoring of national and international staff.
· · Experience managing security in a conflict affected environment.
· · Previous experience in DRC is highly desirable.
Skills and abilities
· · Fluency in written and verbal English and French.
· · Demonstrated leadership abilities.
· · Detail oriented, strong organizational, analytical and strategic planning skills.
· · Effective time-management skills with the ability to multi-task and manage multiple time-sensitive priorities.
· · Self-starter, able to work with a high degree of initiative and highly resilient
· · Team oriented with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with individuals from a range of backgrounds.
· · Strong writing and project management skills.
· Able to work sensitively in challenging and insecure environments.
Salary and benefits
A highly competitive salary and benefits package will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Comprehensive benefits include travel to and from duty sites, generous vacation, accommodation, comprehensive insurance and Employee Assistance Program as per War Child Canada contractual standards.
INTERESTED APPLICANTS ARE INVITED TO SEND A CURRICULUM VITAE AND AN ACCOMPANYING COVER LETTER ELECTRONICALLY TO:
Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of ‘Country Director, DRC – [insert your name]’
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please. War Child Canada is an equal opportunity employer.
War Child Canada is committed to providing a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Final candidates will be vetted in accordance with War Child Canada’s Child Safeguarding Policy, including appropriate reference and security checks.
For more information about War Child Canada, please visit www.warchild.ca
Deadline for applications 8th February 2021.