People in Need (PIN) in Ethiopia – is a Czech NGO working on improving lives of the poor in Ethiopia through development and humanitarian projects. PIN is implementing development projects focused mainly on WASH, agriculture, livelihoods, nutrition, natural resource management, education and social development. PIN is also actively responding to current drought through its emergency operations.
Country Director is directly responsible for:
Location: Addis Ababa or Hawassa (approx. 50-50) with frequent travels to SNNPR and other regions where required
Starting date: according to availability
Duration: 24 months with possibility of extension
Line-manager: Regional Director for Africa at PIN HQ in Prague
Country Director (CD) is responsible for the overall management and development of the mission and its employees (3 expatriates and over 200 nationals) and for PIN´s representation at the country level. CD supervises the mission’s programmes, finance and administration as well as human resources; at the same time the CD is ultimately responsible for the security management of the mission. A considerable part of the CD’s responsibilities consists of medium and long-term tasks such as strategic planning, implementation of best practice and procedures, strengthening mission´s management and structure, employees capacity building, donor relationship management and advocacy.
- Management: CD is responsible for leading the whole mission team, for overall coordination of all its operations and its proper joint acting (synergy). At the same time CD plans the development of the mission in accordance with the needs identified in the country and priorities of PIN. All these tasks are undertaken in close cooperation with Desk Officer (DO).
- Programmes: CD, in cooperation with HoP (Head of Programs), supports and supervises senior programme staff, follows all phases of the Project cycle management (PCM), and actively participates and leads the design of new programmes.
- Finance & Administration: CD supervises the finance and administration unit of the mission. Together with Finance Manager and Compliance Director prepares and follows up mission budget and overall economic situation.
- Human Resources: CD, in cooperation with DCD (Deputy Country Director, national) plans HR needs of the mission and takes part in the process of selection of new expatriate staff. CD is also responsible for capacity building, safety and security of all employees.
- Fundraising: CD is responsible for fundraising from institutional donors and financial stability of the mission including preparation of project proposals in cooperation with the programme staff.
- Security: CD is responsible for security management, including keeping security policy up to date and enforcing its implementation in cooperation with national Security Officer). S/he is also working towards maximum possible safety of the working conditions to minimize health risks and secure PIN’s assets.
- External relations: CD represents mission in relation to media, public, authorities, donors and partners especially in the given country.
- Logistics: CD supervises the operations and logistics department, approves all important purchases.
- Communication with HQ: CD is responsible for regular communication with the HQ and timely channelling of all important information.
People in Need offers:
- Experience in management of team of 50+ employees in humanitarian and/or development contexts
- Good knowledge of humanitarian and/or development aid systems, and ability to understand donor and governmental requirements
- Strong knowledge of fund raising, budget and organisational finance management
- Proven experience in programme management (needs assessments, proposal preparation, implementation, reporting, monitoring, evaluation)
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Mature, reliable personality with ability to make decisions and work independently
- Strong team-building skills
- Ability to organize and plan effectively
- Excellent communication, negotiation and networking skills
- Ability to work in difficult conditions and under pressure
- Cultural sensitivity, working experience in developing countries (preferably in Africa)
How to apply:
- Competitive remuneration package
- Work in a dynamic and motivated team in a large and growing country programme
- Work experience with professional and flexible NGO, the largest one in Central-Eastern Europe
- Accommodation and local transport costs covered
- 2 flights to home country covered per year
- Costs of visas and vaccination covered
- 25 days of holiday per year
- Medical helpdesk (in the Czech Republic, provided in English)
- Travel insurance (covers the health care incl. the repatriation)
- Introduction and training in Prague
- Participation in enriching annual meetings of all senior field staff in Prague
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and a short cover letter. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).
About the Organization
The People in Need organization was established in 1992 by a group of Czech war correspondents who were no longer satisfied with merely relaying information about ongoing conflicts and began sending out aid. It gradually became established as a professional humanitarian organization striving to provide aid in troubled regions and support adherence to human rights around the world.
Throughout the 25 years of its existence, People in Need has become one of the biggest non-profit organizations in Central Europe. In addition to humanitarian aid and human rights, it now also targets education and helps people living in social exclusion.
We are part of Alliance2015, a strategic network of seven European non-governmental organizations engaged in humanitarian aid and development projects. This collaboration increases effectivity both in working in the target countries and in campaigns aimed at influencing the attitudes of politicians and the general public in Europe.