Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Starting date: December, 2019
Length of contract: 24 months (with possibility of extension)
People in Need (PIN) (www.peopleinneed.cz/en) is an international, non-profit organization providing humanitarian and development assistance around the world. In Myanmar, People in Need started to work in 2002, when it launched the financial assistance to civil society groups and independent media. After 2008, PIN provided humanitarian and relief aid to people affected by typhoon Nargis. Since 2012, PIN has been operating directly from Myanmar, our programs focusing primarily on supporting local civil society in remote areas, and humanitarian assistance. We are working in areas affected by armed conflicts in Rakhine State and in Kachin State providing humanitarian aid in the sectors of Nutrition, Education in Emergencies, Protection and WASH. In Kachin State, PIN also provides technical support for designing and implementation of the land reform process and works for ensuring the appropriate involvement of civil society organizations. Furthermore, our social cohesion program aims to promote tolerance and acceptance of diversity in different communities in Mon, Kayin and Rakhine States. We are currently expanding our operations into urban programming in Yangon.
Apart from Yangon, PIN has currently offices in Rakhine, Kachin and Kayin States. Majority of PIN funding in Myanmar comes from the Myanmar Humanitarian Fund (MHF), the EU, Czech and US Governments, UN and private donations.
Main role of Country Director is to ensure overall mission management, mission´s further strategic development, representation towards donors, partners and authorities.
SUITABLE CANDIDATE HAS:
- Overall management of both national and international employees
- Strategic planning and mission‘s development in line with the Country Strategy and in accordance with PIN‘s priorities and needs of the particular region, and in consideration of PIN’s capacity
- Fundraising and liaising with donors
- Program supervision and development incl. project proposals drafting and reviewing, as well as reporting
- Ensuring that a functional MEAL system is set up and planned results and objectives are being reached
- Ensuring proper participation of both key international and national staff in the program and mission development
- Ensuring that all PIN’s and donors’ requirements are met, including Code of Conduct and key policies, procurement rules, reporting and visibility
- Supervision of the financial management
- Supervision of the logistics of the mission
- Ensuring necessary HR needs, and capacity building needs are planned for in advance and on a timely manner
- Clear and regular internal communication within PIN mission and with PIN HQ
- Representation of PIN towards media, public, partners, embassies, donors and local authorities
- Representing PIN at Alliance 2015 and any other INGO platform (e.g. INGO Forum), and UN coordination mechanism (e.g. clusters, working groups)
- Proven working experience in emergency and/or development context, especially with program and/or mission management and development
- Experience with projects designing and strategic planning, PCM, knowledge of the institutional donors environment
- Sound understanding of principles of humanitarian and development work
- Excellent working knowledge of English
- Experience with team management
- Excellent communication skills and cultural sensitivity
- Networking and representation skills
- Knowledge/experience of Myanmar is an advantage
- Knowledge and experience with public-private partnerships and humanitarian funders is an advantage
HOW TO APPLY:
- Possibility to work in a well-established and locally recognized NGO
- Salary and benefits according to PIN’s salary scale and HR policies
- 25 days of paid leave annually
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation
- Travel health insurance
- Housing allowance
- Induction and training in Prague
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letter. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).
About the Organization
The People in Need organization was established in 1992 by a group of Czech war correspondents who were no longer satisfied with merely relaying information about ongoing conflicts and began sending out aid. It gradually became established as a professional humanitarian organization striving to provide aid in troubled regions and support adherence to human rights around the world.
Throughout the 25 years of its existence, People in Need has become one of the biggest non-profit organizations in Central Europe. In addition to humanitarian aid and human rights, it now also targets education and helps people living in social exclusion.
We are part of Alliance2015, a strategic network of seven European non-governmental organizations engaged in humanitarian aid and development projects. This collaboration increases effectivity both in working in the target countries and in campaigns aimed at influencing the attitudes of politicians and the general public in Europe.