Norwegian People`s Aid is seeking a Country Director in Palestine
Norwegian People`s Aid has worked in Palestine with humanitarian and development programmes since 1987 and has continued to grow. NPA in Palestine currently consists of a development programme strengthening local organisations, promoting democratic processes at the grassroots level and supporting local organisation`s efforts. The office is located in Gaza city, with a field office in Ramallah.
The programme also has a clear ambition to maintain and continuously develop both a humanitarian relief programme, focusing on food security and livelihoods, and a conflict preparedness and protection (CPP) project. The latter project aims at protecting civilians against the use of explosive weapons and other conflict related risk through empowering civilians with tools and knowledge they need to be better prepared and protected.
NPA proactively engages in advocacy to promote rights for Palestinians, and advocacy on issues of protection.
In the programme area of Development and Humanitarian Cooperation, NPA works in partnership with local organisations in a two-way cooperation and sharing of complementary resources to achieve the mission of these organisations engaged in activities promoting mobilisation and progressive changes in the countries where we are present.
Within the field of Humanitarian Disarmament we work to protect civilians against explosive weapons before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working worldwide to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines, cluster munitions and other explosive remnants of war, as well as explosive weapons used in populated areas.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
- To lead NPA palestine, including the overall responsibility and management of the country programme.
- Provide leadership, advice and support to the programmes in country
- To ensure that relevant strategies, policies and routines are in place and implemented.
- Overall financial, logistical and human resource management
- Represent NPA in Palestine both in media and in public, and build networks with relevant national and international partners in coordination with Programme Managers. Maintain dialogue with relevant actors in the MENA region.
- Ensure that the country programme maintains a comprehensive understanding of the country context, and monitor developments in palestine in particular the political, humanitarian and security situation, give advice to NPA Head Office and implement necessary changes.
- The safety and security of NPA staff, assets and resources and coordinate necessary actions with NPA Head Office.
- The country director will be based in Gaza with regular travels to the West Bank.
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to achieve results through others
- Experience as a successful upper level manager in a complex international organisation with documented good results
- Previous experience in a multi-national environment, preferably in a Middle East context
- Experience with implementing strategies, plans and achieving objectives in large organisations
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work calmly under pressure with limited guidance and supervision
- Good political intuition and an understanding of political processes and ability to process sensitive information with discretion
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Experience and knowledge from work in conflict contexts, experience from humanitarian work or development.
- Experience with finance and administration, donor relations, a strong sense of organisation and planning.
- Analytical skills, systematic and structured.
- Proficiency in Scandinavian language and/or Arabic
The chosen candidate must have skills and abilities complementary to the programme team. We place particular emphasis on strong leadership and good communication skills.
In return we offer: An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances, including R&R. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme.
We offer five weeks annual holiday* plus one additional week off for expatriate staff. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year**. We offer a one-year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health. One of NPA`s overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organisation, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA`s internal regulations
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
Jane Lovise Karoline Filseth Andersen