At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2016, CARE worked in 94 countries and reached 80 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE, Rwanda is seeking a Country Director (CD) to lead CARE’s strategy and operations in the country and drive for impact that benefits women and girls, enhances the lives of poor and vulnerable communities and address injustice and discrimination.
The Country Director will provide strategic leadership and guidance to the Country Office team and to external partners to ensure that CARE’s role in the country continuously evolves for maximum impact and relevance to the environment and to the people we serve. S/he will oversee the development, funding and implementation of the Country Office (CO) program portfolio and will be responsible for adequate emergency preparedness while managing emergency programming and operations.
The person in this role will establish and sustain productive relationships and political influence with government officials, donors and strategic partners. S/he will lead the CO’s fundraising strategy and ensure the CO’s financial viability. As an organizational citizen, the Country Director will contribute to CI’s global strategy, share knowledge and support the generation of evidence to inform on CARE’s global programming. S/he will also be accountable for competent operational and risk management including the proper management, well-being and safety of CARE staff and the proper stewardship of CARE’s resources.
In summary, the CD will model and ensure systematic practice of CARE’s core values – (Transformation, Integrity, Diversity, Excellence and Equality), promote Gender Equality and Diversity among CO staff, identify new ways of working and drive the teams toward the organizational vision, while fostering innovation, holistic planning and programming and helping to build effective teams, coalitions and networks. S/he will encourage on-going staff development to motivate and strengthen the teams’ resilience in the face of change.
- Build and maintain a strong and innovative leadership team, and effectively manage direct reports
- Lead the design, implementation, and evolution of the Country Office (CO) strategic plan
- Oversee CO programming to advance CARE’s vision and mission, in line with CARE’s Program Strategy and standards for program quality
- Identify and secure program and project funding consistent with CI’s program strategy in Rwanda through CI Members, bilateral and multilateral donors and non-traditional sources
- Develop and enhance relationships, partnerships and networks between the CO, other parts of CARE and external organizations to maximize CARE’s impact on poverty and social justice
- Direct the mobilization, management, and accounting of all resources in the CO
- Oversee the management and development of CO human resources to ensure a diverse, skilled, and productive workforce, where CARE Core Values are practiced
- Promote staff development and the maximization of local talent, through coaching and mentoring, talent management, succession planning and active career development
- Ensure CARE’s stance on Protection, Sexual, Harassment Exploitation and Abuse [PSHEA] is monitored and adhered to by both staff and our Partners and individuals/organizations held accountable for violation
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Political Sciences, International Relations, Humanitarian and International Cooperation or related field
- 6-8 years in senior management position in development field
- Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning
- Demonstrated knowledge of program design, implementation and evaluation
- Extensive conceptual skills including strategic analysis
- Demonstrated management skills in a complex international setting
- Demonstrated self-awareness, leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong human resource management skills including capacity building, coaching and conflict management;
- Experience supervising and developing a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural setting;
- Demonstrated interest and ability to give feedback, develop, motivate and lead a diverse team to achieve results;
- Demonstrated use of positive coping strategies in stressful environments
- Manage a complex budget
- Demonstrated skills in risk management and ensuring value for money
- Effectively follow-up on internal and external audit recommendations
- Ensure donor compliance and reporting
- Ability to establish a learning culture within the CO and to facilitate knowledge sharing across CARE
- The ability to communicate in French (both verbal and written) is desired
About the Organization
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE's community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.