Oversee all programme and support activities in-country. Representing Medair in all issues relating to the country programme, the Country Director plays a key role in donor relations and grant management, external representation, legal compliance and manages the country strategy and the project implementation and evaluation in conjunction with senior field managers.
Multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Emergency Health and Nutrition Care, Health and Hygiene Promotion, Water and Sanitation and NFI and Emergency Shelter distributions across fixed and emergency response locations. Goal is to assist in improving health and water and sanitation conditions for vulnerable people in South Sudan.
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
March 2018. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
- Design, update and evaluate the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant senior field managers and HQ staff. Take into account community needs, donor criteria and strategies and an exit strategy in order to facilitate the long-term planning and development of the projects in the country.
- Manage the monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the implementation of the planned activities in accordance with the project proposals and logical frameworks.
- Manage the overall programme and support functions, including reviewing the management structures and overseeing the development and maintenance of operational procedures.
- Analyse humanitarian needs, trends and political developments in the country of operation and the surrounding region in order to anticipate new projects and initiatives.
- Ensure all programme activities and support functions comply with national and international laws.
- Oversee programme implementation in accordance with the project proposals, ensure objectives are met within the required time frames and budgets. Ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
- Facilitate cross cutting communications with all country teams implementing programme plans.
- Implement procedures and guidelines, so as to enhance the smooth running of the programmes.
- Represent Medair at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, donors, UN and other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, field managers and HQ.
- Supervise the project budget, ensuring budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations.
- Ensure the management of spending within the programme is in-line with the approved budgets. Analyse projected cash flow, decide on the timing of major procurements, oversee audits and anticipate where over or under spending may occur and ensure necessary action is taken.
- Ensure sufficient and appropriate controls are in place to prevent fraud and that relevant staff receive the required information and training to minimise the risk of occurrence within the country programme.
- Oversee the updating and implementation of country location security plans, guidelines and manuals.
- Ensure appropriate security procedures are maintained throughout the country programme.
- Take the lead on decision making and contingency planning during security incidents or threats.
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style build an effective team.
- Oversee all HR related issues within the programme including job descriptions, recruitment, performance management, development and training, health and safety, team structures, etc.
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair when interacting with team members and provide them with leadership, advice, support and appropriate communication.
- Implement systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
- Ensure country programmes are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- 5 years post-qualification experience in a management position.
- 3 year post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials. Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and CHS. Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Advanced leadership and management skills; ability to build trust and enforce procedures.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills; committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members. Experience and willingness in training/mentoring staff.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.