SNV Netherlands Development Organisation seeks to fill the following position:
Country Director Vietnam
Duty station: Hanoi, Vietnam
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on our operations in Vietnam, visit our website: http://www.snv.org/country/vietnam
SNV has been working in Vietnam since 1995, and currently has over 80 national and international staff. Vietnam has become a middle income country, although pockets of poverty still remain, mostly in ethnic minority communities. Increasing urbanisation has also created new pockets of poverty in and around the cities.
Our team works hand-in-hand with communities, government agencies and businesses, in some of the remotest and poorest areas of the country to design and implement market based solutions to overcome poverty in the Agriculture, Energy and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene sectors addressing cross cutting topics such as of gender, climate change and inclusive business. SNV Vietnam operates from a head office in Hanoi and project offices in Ho Chi Minh City, Ca Mau, Lao Cai, Dak Lak, Thanh Hoa and Nghe An provinces.
SNV’s poverty reduction efforts focus on the Agriculture, Energy, and WASH (Water, Sanitation & Hygiene) sectors.
Overview of the position
SNV seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result oriented and proven professional who will lead the Vietnam country team in realising high quality programmes in SNV’s sectors. We offer you a challenging position in a very dynamic era.
The Country Director is responsible for leading and driving the country program. It is a multi-faceted role, focused on securing adequate funding to sustain operations, upscale and strategically strengthen the country programme, while ensuring high quality delivery. It will require you to be well informed about and engage with national and international development priorities and steer the sectors in response to these priorities. You will forge partnerships and alliances between SNV and important national and international actors, and stimulate collaboration for impact in SNV sectors. You will be the face of SNV in the country and ensure a positive image and visibility.
You will lead, coach and support the team to perform at their best to meet and exceed client, donor and SNV corporate expectations. In addition, you will be a key member of our global senior management team, making meaningful contributions to help shape the future of SNV.
Strategic leadership of the program (including multi-country efforts and potentially managing projects in other countries) within the overall parameters of SNV’s global strategy;
Business development to grow the country programme, ensure financial sustainability of SNV in Vietnam and ensure high quality project design.
Oversight and quality assurance of project implementation ensuring the delivery of impact to the satisfaction of key stakeholders and following SNV’s and the donor’s financial standards and monitoring protocols;
Leadership and management of the country team: creating and nurturing an environment that supports high performance, learning and teamwork;
Representation and profiling: building partnerships and maintaining excellent relationships with donors, partners, local governments, businesses, policy makers and other relevant stakeholders;
Collaboration with other SNV countries to effectively exploit opportunities for synergy, deliver at scale (including multi-country projects), exchange knowledge and strengthen SNV’s position;
- In addition, Country Directors foster innovation of SNV products and services: facilitate learning, documentation and evidence based knowledge development in collaboration with SNV’s global team and partners; ensure collaboration with renowned knowledge institutes and networks.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline;
- At least 8 years of relevant experience at strategic level;
- Knowledge and understanding of the international development context and trends in SNV’s three core sectors;
- Substantial experience in effectively working with the corporate sector
- Proven ability of mobilising resources from the public and private sector; familiarity with key financiers and actors in SNV’s 3 core sectors;
- Track record in winning and managing tenders and large grant applications
- Strong business and people management capabilities with a focus on results and an entrepreneurial flair;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong networking and positioning skills at multiple levels;
- Strong in implementation oversight and proven track record in project management;
- Ability to relate with and manage relationships with government at federal and local levels;
- Ability to coach, lead, stimulate, and inspire professionals in a development context;
- Culturally aware, tactful and open minded;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
Contract Type: International
Contract Duration: 2 years with possibility of extension
Expected Start Date: as soon as possible
Working at SNV: SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. For more information, please visit our website: www.snvworld.org
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation via the APPLY LINK above before 22 January 2017.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement
NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted