Position Title: Country Manager - Somalia
Dept/Location: EARO/Nairobi, Kenya
Reports To: Kenya Country Representative
The CRS Country Manager (CM) for Somalia is responsible for overall leadership and management of the Somalia program. The CM is CRS’ official representative to the Government, local donor representatives, Church leaders, international organizations, and other local partners. The position requires an individual with skills in leadership, business development, staff development, program management, representation, communication, partnership, and risk management.
Country Program Background
CRS first established an office in Somalia in October 1964. For 30 years CRS maintained its office, working with partners to develop and sustain projects related to health and nutrition, agriculture, education, and water and sanitation. In 1994, after the outbreak of a civil war, CRS closed its office in Mogadishu. CRS returned to Somalia in 2011 in response to the drought and famine that impacted East Africa that year and was managed remotely from EARO in Nairobi. CRS Somalia programming was incorporated into the CRS Kenya country program portfolio in October 2014.
Today, CRS continues to respond to the urgent needs of the Somali people through meeting their immediate needs (food and water); providing essential services (health, nutrition and protection); creating and rehabilitating critical infrastructure (latrines and wells); and restoring productive assets and purchasing power (via vouchers) to build their resilience and promote long-term, sustainable solutions. The current portfolio of CRS programming in Somalia is implemented thorough several trusted and long-term civil society partners.
- Lead CRS Somalia to develop and implement a country strategy that contributes to the advancement of the regional and agency strategies.
- Represent the country program to the host government, donors, international organizations, and international and national PVOs.
- Identify and pursue opportunities for appropriate expansion and growth of programs, ensuring the sound management of all aspects of the business development cycle.
- Seek and pursue opportunities to raise the profile of the work of CRS and its partners, and to support US advocacy on behalf of our beneficiaries.
- Engage the bishop, Caritas staff, and leadership of other Caritas Internationalis Member Organizations operating in Somalia to ensure that CRS demonstrates solidarity through a diverse range of financial, technical, and moral support.
- Ensure that agency standards of program and management quality, as well as all financial management policies and standards, are adhered to throughout the country program.
- Ensure full compliance with donor requirements and government regulations.
- Address all audit findings in a timely and comprehensive manner.
Supervision, Staff Management and Development:
- Directly supervise and coach direct reports ensuring high quality programming, donor compliance, and appropriate career development.
- Oversee the quality supervision of all CRS staff and resources in the Somalia program.
- Ensure consistently high-quality recruitment to build a diverse, competent, motivated and committed team of employees.
- Encourage principles of a just workplace and promote staff care and well-being.
Security and Emergency Response Management:
- Maintain security, evacuation and contingency plans current and revise annually or as necessary and ensure adherence by all CRS staff.
- Oversee the management of all security issues, including those related to harassment and protection of staff and beneficiaries.
- Respond to emergency needs as they arise.
- Closely supervise or oversee responses to emergencies.
- Maintain a healthy and empowering office environment that encourages participation and open communication, and high levels of staff engagement and well-being.
- Ensure open communications with regional and HQ colleagues.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
* Serves with Integrity
* Models Stewardship
* Cultivates Constructive Relationships
* Promotes Learning
Country Representative Competencies
* Leads toward Strategic Results
* Manages Risk and Complexity
* Represents and Partners Strategically
* Champions Learning and Performance
- Masters in International Development/Relations or related field
- 5 or more years of progressively responsible experience in PVO management
- Previous experience managing staff and programs overseas
- Experience working closely with Caritas agencies and Church leadership
- Experience in emergency response programming
- Experience negotiating and working with local government
- Experience with institutional strengthening and partnership building
- Ability to work effectively in diverse environments and under pressure
- Demonstrated understanding of the importance of staff development
- Fluency in English
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organization skills, good judgment, vision and maturity
- Ability to operate successfully amidst complexity and uncertainty
- Demonstrated effectiveness with short- and long-term planning, as well as financial, human resource, and program management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity and/or appreciation of the social teachings of the Catholic Church and its structure; ability to work well within this framework
- Commitment to the Agency’s mission and strategy
Key Working Relationships
Supervisory: CRS Somalia Program Staff
Internal: CRS Kenya/Somalia Program and Operations Departments, EARO RD, DRD/PQ, DRD/MQ and RFO, HQ colleagues in PIQA and OpEx departments, USOps, Finance, HR, Audit and Charitable Giving.
External: donor agencies, Caritas and other Church leaders, host country government agencies, international and national non-governmental organizations, UN agencies.
Physical Requirements/Environment: The position is based in the CRS compound in Nairobi, with regular travel to Somalia.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.