Job Title: Country Manager, Chad
Job Location: N’Djamena, Chad
Job Type: Regular, Full Time
Reports to: Country Representative – Cameroon/Chad
Salary Grade: 11
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
As Country Manager you will manage and represent the country program office, advancing programming and operations objectives and the mission of Catholic Relief Services (CRS) to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your management and representation skills will enable you to advance CRS’ reputation and impact while you proactively manage security and mitigate security risks and liabilities.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Manage the design of medium and long-term goals. Ensure program and operations leads coordinate their objectives in alignment with the strategy.
- In collaboration with the Country Representative (CR) provide strategic direction for the design of the Chad strategic frameworks and plans, including the development of resource mobilization strategies to optimize the impact of programming interventions in line with regional and agency strategic priorities.
- Ensure that all projects meet and exceed donor expectations and are designed and implemented for maximum impact and reach. Ensure the CRS program quality standards are adhered to per MEAL policy and procedures.
- Provide management oversight and guidance of the STaR project’s resilience and recovery activities with interventions in community infrastructure; agriculture & rural livelihoods, social cohesion and local governance that are intended to contribute to stabilization and reconciliation in the most affected regions of the Lake Chad Basin.
- Monitor security, especially the evolving situation in the Lac Region in collaboration with the Chad Security Officer.
- Effectively manage senior talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching and mentoring. Strategically tailor individual development plans and complete performance assessments for direct reports. Manage the development of staffing plans and the recruitment process of senior staff.
- Establish and develop strategic partnerships with national and international organizations that leverages resources, reputation, and expertise in line with CRS partnership principles. Ensure strong representation to key stakeholders, including Church partners, local and national government, US government and international donors.
- Manage and mitigate risk through monitoring national and regional issues that may impact staff and programming. Ensure all staff understand and adhere to CRS staff safety and security policies and plans and ensure the updating of such plans.
- Promote, uphold and model a commitment to the efficient use of agency and donor resources. Ensure compliance in operations functions including a successful roll-out of Project Insight. Provide oversight and analysis regarding monthly expenditures.
- Oversee the pursuit of strategic growth opportunities, prepositioning and capture planning.
- Create and maintain proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies. Promote accountability, learning and knowledge management overseeing application of the MEAL policy, as well as cross-sectoral and cross-department learning.
- Master’s degree in International Development, International Relations or a related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing high value relief and development programs. Experience in complex development settings preferred.
Required Languages – English and functional French.
Travel - Must be willing and able to travel up to 25 %.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Very good relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally.
- Team leadership abilities.
- Strong communications and presentation skills.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing high-value projects from multiple international donors, including USAID, DFID, and UN agencies; knowledge of relevant donor regulations.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Experience working with Church partners a plus.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Ability to represent the agency at high levels.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: PM/Administration/Operations, Finance Manager, PCS/SILC Cohesion PM, Health and Protection PM, co-management of STaR PM II
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Country Representative Cameroon/Chad, STaR Chief of Party, Head of Programming/Cameroon, Finance Manager/Cameroon, DRD/PQ, DRD/Operations, RFO and other Regional Technical Advisors.
External : Chad Senior Church Officials (Archbishop and Bishops, UNAD and SECADEV), Donor Representatives, Chad Government, Partners (local and international).
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until this position is filled