The goal of the USAID E4 Activity is to increase employment and jobs through increased private productivity and competitiveness in 5 Central Asian countries (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan). Palladium will use a market systems approach to facilitate strengthening and growth of businesses in target economic sectors and key institutions that support robust economic growth.
Work performed under the E4 IDIQ is divided into three components:
Component 1: Enterprises – Fostering Competitive Industries
Component 2: Employment – Developing a Capable Workforce and Entrepreneurship
Component 3: Enabling Environments – Creating Conditions for Jobs and Investment
The FGI Task Order will increase the competitiveness of high-growth industries to provide jobs and incomes for Central Asia’s growing workforce, propelling the region toward self-reliance. FGI will transform market systems in ways that help high-potential firms and sectors grow, foster market linkages to match demand for workforce skills with training offered to youth and women, link entrepreneurs to high-growth markets, and build more business- and worker-friendly policy environments and institutions to sustain private sector–driven growth.
Purpose of Position
Reporting to the main E4 project office in Almaty, the Country Manager will lead and coordinate project implementation as well as lead technical implementation of the E4 project in their respective country. This includes ongoing strategic analysis of any opportunities within target sectors, and identification and leadership in the development of high-impact partnerships with businesses and institutions to address key business constraints that will unlock economic growth and job creation. The Country Manager will lead coordination with the E4 main office in Almaty and across country offices/activities in other Central Asian Countries. They will supervise the project team in-country, both technical and administrative.
Duration: The FGI Task Order under the USAID E4 Activity is projected for 5 years (October 1, 2019 to September 20, 2024)
Location: Ashgabat, Turkmenistan
Reports to: Chief of Party
Role and Responsibilities
- Provides senior leadership, management oversight, and coordination of the E4 Project in Turkmenistan.
- Develops, manages, and maintains excellent working relationships with local government counterparts, grant recipients, and other development partners
- Provides subject matter expertise/technical assistance to the program focused on business expansion, workforce development, and/or business enabling environment
- Ensures quality of technical products and outputs of the program in country
- Leads and/or reviews and monitors programmatic functions, i.e. development of workplans and budgets.
- Prepares necessary program-related reports to USAID and Government of Turkmenistan.
- Attends and presents at client, government, and partner meetings, events and conferences, as appropriate
- Oversees project administration and vendor/ consultant engagements, in coordination with technical advisors and operations staff, to ensure timely contracting and highly quality execution of the agreed upon deliverables.
- Organizes and supports as needed project/program trainings, conferences, workshops, and meetings.
- Experience supporting businesses through expansion including access to new markets, business capacity development,
- Demonstrated success in collaboration and coordination across partners, sectors and with home office
- Demonstrated experience managing projects or programs
- Demonstrated success at achieving programmatic results as specified in a workplan or scope of work
- Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities often within a required timeframe.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Professional and diplomatic demeanor and conduct, especially during interactions with the client and its constituents.
- Proficient in the use of desktop software, esp. Microsoft Office.
- Ability to anticipate, respond and adapt quickly to changing requirements and competing demands.
- Experience managing teams of technical and operational staff
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Experience working with or in partnership with USAID or USAID partners is required
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.