Position: Country Nutrition Program Manager
Location: Juba, South Sudan (60 percent) & Field Support (40 percent)
Reports to: Program Director
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
The Country Nutrition Program Manager is responsible for managing all nutrition activities in South Sudan. S/he will be responsible for providing technical support and supervision to the nutrition team, identifying and generating new funding opportunities, providing writing and budgetary input for new program design, and overseeing spending across all nutrition grants in the country. S/he will represent RI for nutrition at the national and field, including with donors and at all nutrition sector meetings and sector-related meeting. The Country Nutrition Program Manager will oversee the management and technical implementation of multiple grants across all geographic areas where RI is working. S/he will work to build the knowledge and evidence base of nutrition programming in RI and within the global community. The Country Nutrition Program Manager will work in close coordination with the Country Health Program Manager.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Program & Grant Management (50%)
- Oversee country nutrition portfolio, supporting with design, start-up and close-down
- Lead mobilization process of new nutrition awards with field teams
- Ensure donor requirements for data collection, monitoring, reporting, targets/achievements and evaluations for nutrition grants are met
- Develop and establish work plans and spending plans for new projects, program deliverables and required activities
- Work closely with the Area Manager and Program Director to achieve program objectives and targets effectively and efficiently
- Manage and oversee the supply requests of in-kind nutrition items and purchase orders of other nutrition program items
- Work closely with the logistics team to ensure timely and proper management and distribution of nutrition supplies
- Remain abreast of recent research and program models in nutrition (at the national and international level) and translate this knowledge into program design and implementation
- Mitigate the risk of stock-outs through proper consumption monitoring, supply forecasting, budget planning, regular communication, and timely supply and purchase requests
- Monitor program expenditure and regularly liaise with finance staff to address spending issues
- Ensure program targets are met using indicator / activity tracking table
- Prepare and submit weekly, monthly and annual data and reports to line manager and other relevant agencies
- Integrate gender, protection, and environmental sustainability into RI nutrition programming throughout the country
- Ensure proper implementation of preventative and treatment programming, including Care Groups/Mother to Mother Support Groups, BSFP, TSFP, OTP, and SC
- Design and implement strong integrated nutrition programming in line with the identified immediate and underlying causes of malnutrition in the targeted communities
Program Development and Representation (20%)
- Provide technical and budgetary input throughout the program development and design phase
- Lead program design and budgeting processes for nutrition programming
- Represent RI at the field and national level as the nutrition technical lead
- Identify, initiate, and lead on new potential nutrition funding opportunities (e.g. consortiums, geographical expansion, new calls for proposals)
- Participate in the Nutrition Cluster coordination activities through active reporting and communication with field and national level focal points
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with the relevant line ministries at national and field level
Quality Assurance (30%)
- Build the capacity of national staffs through proper coaching and training
- Improve the quality of malnutrition prevention programming and nutrition treatment services delivered at supported facilities throughout the country through priority setting, facilitation of formal training, on-job training, and continuous monitoring
- Oversee the nutrition management capacities/structure, evaluating nutrition team organogram and program management abilities on a routine basis
- Ensure the quality of data through proper entry, cleaning and regular checking and use the data for action on the site
- Develop recommendations, structure, and guidelines for ensuring nutrition program quality across field locations and nutrition program sites
- Routinely review existing data collection capacities and help the team improve facility-level data collection and reporting
- Ensure diagnosis and treatment of patients is based on national and international guidelines
- Ensure the community based activities such as mass MUAC screening and nutrition education activities are implemented properly
- Work closely with the M&E team to develop relevant tools, participate in assessments, and participate in analysis as required
- Actively participate in the identification and management of any disaster or epidemics
- Prepare weekly, monthly and annual work plans for grants
- Master’s Degree in Public Nutrition, nutrition or relevant qualifications; MPH or RD strongly preferred
- Experience with project planning and grant management (multiple donors)
- Previous experience managing therapeutic and preventative nutrition programs in resource limited settings
- Senior management and community development experience
- High level of skill in developing, implementing and training others in the tools needed for program cycle management monitoring and review and in the implementation of quality nutrition services
- Detailed understanding of the immediate, underlying and basic causes of malnutrition and of the integration of nutrition with other sectors
- Proven experience implementing CMAM programs
- Proven experience with Social Behavior Change Communication programming
- Skilled in, and committed to, community participation/interaction, field visits and presence in program areas
- Proven financial, logistics and procurement management skills.
- Track record of championing gender equality, both in the office and in program implementation
- Practical experience managing staff and programs in insecure locations
- Well-developed human resource management skills
- Proven commitment to humanitarian and accountability principals and knowledgeable of quality assurance systems
- Good communicator with proven diplomacy who has the ability and willingness to engage with all levels of staff and all types of stakeholders
- Fluent and articulate in spoken and written English with clarity and ease. Proven experience in grant and report writing for health programs
We would like to share Relief International’s Values with you:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
For consideration please submit all of the following: a detailed CV, cover letter and a list of 3 previous supervisors (including email address, Skype contact, and telephone number).
The closing date for applications is 8th August.
Due to the urgency of this role, we will be reviewing CVs and interviewing candidates on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are asked to submit their application as soon as possible.
About the Organization
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 18 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RIFrance and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.