Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Most importantly, are you fed-up, even disgusted, with the status quo of foreign assistance in the health sector? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is a growing, flexible health systems organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space by always questioning and disrupting conventional wisdom about what works or what can or cannot be done.
We are seeking a Country Office Talent Manager (aka International HR Manager) to play a key role supporting a range of talent acquisition and management functions including employee relations, engagement, compliance, performance management, benefits and compensation in our project implementation countries. The Manager leads HR projects and services, providing oversight and hands-on support to employees and managers across several countries in Africa and Asia. The primary objective of the role is to facilitate operational improvement and support agile project implementation in complex, global environments.
The Manager reports to the Global Talent Director.
What You’ll Do:
- Build relationships with employees and managers, engage both tactically and strategically to respond to specific HR-related needs while improving processes, systems and capabilities. Provide weekly, direct support to country teams to understand local issues, challenges and needs to help remove roadblocks to agile project implementation. Establish an in-depth understanding of our business while staying current with industry practices, laws, trends and helping apply those to our firm.
- Partner with employees across the firm to advise on and/or manage international HR-related needs in coordination with project teams including employee relations and performance issues, compensation, employment eligibility, acquisition of work permits, compliance with country specific regulations, PEO liaison, etc.
- Advise managers on talent identification and proactive performance management throughout the year (e.g. performance discussions, coaching, counseling, providing feedback). Counsel managers, leaders, and team members to identify individual and team learning and development needs, leveraging learning opportunities to promote career mobility and advancement.
- Advise managers on the resolution of day-to-day to complex employee relations issues. Reduce legal risk and ensure regulatory compliance by maintaining knowledge of legal HR requirements.
- Bring a flexible, practical, collaborative and data-driven approach to HR. Partner with Talent team and Director to collect and analyze data. Use this analysis to recommend actions concerning employment, termination, performance evaluations, compensation and benefits.
- Independently prioritize, organize, distribute, and coordinate work flows, providing proactive and timely communication and support. Collaborate proactively with colleagues across the firm to facilitate seamless integration of full talent management service delivery to internal client teams. Manage and execute HR administration/transaction processing for designated teams.
- Provide oversight and training to in-country HR and management on HR process, areas for operational improvement, overseeing design and revision of country office manuals and compensation scales, periodic analysis of HR operations performance.
- Lead full-cycle recruitment for open international positions as needed, providing comprehensive customer service to support managers with staffing requirements.
- Use an approachable and collaborative demeanor to demonstrate the firm’s goal to reinforce a clear, collaborative and transparent approach to decision making and problem solving.
ThinkWell core values are our fundamental organizational guiding principles. They define our corporate culture, influence our behavior at work and help us achieve our mission. Our values are:
Influence the conversation
Evolve by learning
ThinkWell core competencies are foundational skills and behaviors that align with our values and are expected of all employees.
An entrepreneurial, results-oriented ‘do-er’ with a willingness to take risk, think big and challenge conventional wisdom.
A change maker who reaches independent judgement with an open mind, influences the conversation, and seeks innovation.
Able to help create an empowering environment in which everyone feels free to take initiative, be accountable and fail intelligently (learn from mistakes).
A collaborative colleague who engages constructively with people from different cultures, orientations, and perspectives and maintains positive relations in a virtual world.
Principally motivated by a growth mindset, meaning the pursuit of knowledge, experience, and self-improvement. You always question and continuously learn.
Authentic, honest, direct, self-aware and open to giving and receiving feedback.
- BA/BS and 8+ years experience or graduate degree and 6+ years experience;
- Demonstrated talent/HR generalist experience in a global environment;
- Full English fluency, second language a plus;
- Outstanding cross-cultural communication skills, including the ability to relate respectfully with staff at all levels, ages, genders, nationalities and orientations as well as across work areas;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion with sensitive HR issues. Mature, professional judgment and decision-making to execute duties and responsibilities.
- Experience in international development arena and/or with a diverse, geographically dispersed, global employee population.
- Working knowledge of employment regulations/laws. Ability to engage internationally with local experts to understand, interpret and apply international policies and benefits.
- Passion for and demonstrated success in innovative HR solutions and process improvement.
- Strong project management skills; ability to lead projects, collaborate, obtain buy-in, and drive for results.
- Extremely detail-oriented and meticulously accurate in communications.
- High emotional IQ and a reputation for working successfully on teams in a collaborative and constructive manner.