Six years into the Syria crisis, the humanitarian needs continue to remain daunting. In partnership with our IOCC implementing partner in Syria, IOCC has delivered humanitarian relief assistance to millions of internally displaced and affected Syrians inside the country.
In partnership with our implementing partner in Syria, IOCC has provided humanitarian assistance in the form of health, water, sanitation and hygiene programs (WASH) as well as shelter rehabilitation for affected and displaced families.
The Country Representative has overall responsibility for providing leadership and management of IOCC’s humanitarian response strategy in Syria, as well as directional oversight of programs and operations that meet internationally accepted humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality and independence, the foundation for humanitarian action.
The Country Representative will actively seek opportunities for resource support of IOCC programs for Syria while pursing and maintaining participation in key networks that enhance the stability and sustainability of the Syria country programs and projects.
- Interface as IOCC Country Representative with Church functionaries, Non-Governmental Organizations, the UN System, INGOs and existing and potential implementing partners and forge new partnerships that support or complement IOCC programs.
- Represent IOCC in meetings and coordination platforms in Syria and regionally as appropriate, including UN clusters and sector working groups and other networks and platforms that enhance the IOCC programmatic delivery of humanitarian and development assistance.
- Provide management oversight that ensures the effective and efficient implementation of IOCC’s programs in adherence to IOCC policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Ensure that the IOCC Syria Office and programs are compliant with local law and ensure that program implementation applies best practices in line with global humanitarian standards and principles.
- Undertake frequent site visits to program activities, and carry out visits to public, private and Church related institutions in order to develop new programmatic activities, monitor progress on existing activities and ensure program implementation according to the requirements of donor agreements.
- Pursue funding opportunities with local and international donors to support IOCC programs in Syria.
- Develop and maintain effective and positive working relationships with the humanitarian community including donors, local NGOs, UN agencies, public and private sector partners and Church officials.
- Maintain overall responsibility for staff safety and well-being, and adherence to all IOCC and donor mandated safety and security regulations, policies and procedures.
- Develop program plans, implementation schedules, monitoring and evaluation schedules, resource mobilization for program support systems, risk management of IOCC activities.
- Manage all approved budgets and financial reporting requirements by implementing internal controls, accountability standards, and record keeping requirements and following IOCC financial policies and procedures.
- Oversee the recruitment, hiring and supervision of all IOCC Syria staff.
- Adherence to all IOCC and donor mandated safety and security regulations, policies and procedures and taking corrective action when necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in senior field management positions.
- Significant experience leading emergency response and relief programs
- Comprehensive managerial and supervisory skills, including a clear knowledge of budgeting and financial procedures and the requirements of donor agreements with which IOCC works or has an existing relationship.
- Knowledgeable about the political and economic developments in Syria and the Middle East Region
- Proficiency in English and excellent writing and communications skills to facilitate proposal development, reporting and public relations; Arabic language skills are an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong personal and organizational relationship with internal and external staff.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with partners and donors. Knowledgeable and sensitive to religious, racial, ethnic and cultural customs and traditions in developing and administering programs and in dealing with organizational staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, International Development, Business or other related field. Graduate degree looked upon favorably but not required.
- This is an unaccompanied full-time position based in Damascus (as security conditions permit), with occasional travel in the region to attend donor meetings or other relevant meetings.
Please send your resume/CV with a cover letter stating your salary requirements to email@example.com