Job Title: Country Representative
Reports To: Regional Director, Southern Africa Regional Office
The Country Representative (CR) is responsible for managing and advancing the mission and objectives of CRS within the country. S/he provides strategic leadership for staff, programs and partnerships. The CR is also responsible for advancing CRS’ reputation and impact within the country and for monitoring and mitigating risks and liabilities.
Position Scope and Scale:
Catholic Relief Services has been working in Madagascar since 1963, initially providing support through food distributions and emergency assistance programs. Over the years, CRS has expanded its programming to also address development needs all over the island of Madagascar. CRS’ projects in Madagascar currently include agricultural livelihoods, health (focus on maternal and infant nutrition), education, emergency response and recovery, microfinance, and youth. CRS Madagascar implements its programs through the Catholic Church, some local partners, and community entities for maximum impact and sustainability. Program value for fiscal year 2019 is estimated to be approximately $16.6 million USD, with funding from USAID/Food for Peace, OFDA, USAID Madagascar, CIDSE partners, UN organizations (WFP, FAO), the European Union and private foundations, with potential increases in funding for emergency response and recovery activities from various donors.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
* Master’s degree in International Development or a relevant field
* 10 or more years’ experience managing complex relief and development programs
* Demonstrated experience with Title II and other USG resources; familiarity with USG regulations
* Experience managing a variety of complex, high-value projects from multiple international donors
* Results driven; able to set and achieve ambitious goals and instill confidence
* Strong interpersonal skills; able to cultivate strong relationships while working with a wide range of individuals in and outside the agency
* Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences
* Proactive; willing and able to take on additional responsibility, challenge assumptions and facilitate change
* Discerning; able to maintain focus and provide good judgment amidst complexity and uncertainty
* Develops others; excellent listener who is able to coach and mentor
* Aligned; able to support and champion the mission, vision, and values of CRS
* Strategic and innovative thinker; able to formulate guiding questions, leverage resources and find creative solutions
Required/Desired Foreign Language
* English and French required
* Frequent travel required within the country and within the region
* Agency-wide Competencies: (based on the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS; to be exemplified by all staff in fulfillment of his or her respective roles and responsibilities)
* Accountability and Stewardship
* Build Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Continuous Improvement and Innovation
* Strategic Mindset
Position Specific Competencies:
* Leads toward Strategic Results
* Manages Risk and Complexity
* Represents and Partners Strategically
* Champions Learning and Performance
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Location(s): Madagascar - - Anatananarivo
About the Organization
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS's Agriculture and Livelihoods team supports farming communities using our Pathway to Prosperity approach, which enables rural families to increase their productivity within sustainable landscapes, achieve a living income and build more resilient communities.