Chemonics seeks a country security director to lead its Country Security Team (CST) and manage its security subcontractors in Afghanistan. The country security director will be a strong leader and a motivated team player with a depth of field experience, an extensive professional network, and technical expertise in safety and security. This senior management role calls for a communicator able to coordinate internally with Chemonics decision-makers and team members, as well as cultivating a network of external interlocutors to provide security information and analysis.
Chemonics is recruiting for a long-term position, but is willing to consider short-term applications. This position is based in Kabul with the potential of significant in-country and regional travel. Please indicate in your response if you are interested in long-term work, short-term work, or both. A six-day workweek is currently authorized for this position, including work outside of normal business hours when circumstances dictate. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide leadership, vision, and management to the CST
- Commission and review strategic and operational security information analysis and reports to provide consolidated and coherent information to Chemonics and the CST
- Develop and supervise implementation of security policy and procedures
- Seek continuous improvement in delivery of safety and security best practices
- Meet regularly with chiefs of party and participate in Chemonics’ Afghanistan strategic planning process, including discussions on safe, feasible, and innovative ways to implement project operations and activities
- Contribute to drafting of the CST budget and oversee CST resource allocation and spending
- Assist in recruitment of CST employees
- Manage security subcontractors to ensure responsible implementation of Chemonics’ Afghanistan security platform
- Oversee management of Chemonics’ shared security platform, including cost share allocations and management of resources in alignment with financial management guidelines
- Establish, develop, and leverage a network of high-level interlocutors inside and outside Afghanistan from the international community and senior Afghan civil and military circles
- Develop emergency action plans, security risk assessments, and contingency plans
- Lead incident, emergency, and crisis response efforts, including major situations necessitating the mass relocation of project staff
- Collaborate with Chemonics training practitioners and subcontracted staff to ensure delivery of safety and security training
- Provide input and guidance in the curriculum and delivery of training courses, provide input on the safety and security components used in training courses, and recommend new course material where necessary
- Resolve disputes when necessary
- Minimum seven years of military, security, or law enforcement experience with senior-level management in strategic planning, project and budget management, employee mentoring, and leadership
- Associate’s degree or higher in a related field of study; a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent with a relevant level combination of experience may be accepted in lieu of an associate’s degree
- Proven negotiation and advocacy skills in establishing and using networks to achieve desired results and positive change
- Knowledge of safety and security best practices and willingness to develop in-depth knowledge of Chemonics’ security policies and procedures
- Demonstrated understanding of security’s role in the development context
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain working relationships in a multicultural, multiethnic environment
- Comprehensive oral and written skills and a proven ability to provide clear and precise instruction/briefings to a variety of audiences
- Ability to use computer applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access for information management and communication
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluent English required; proficient Dari or Pashto preferred
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Country Security Director” in the subject line to AfghanistanRecruitment@chemonics.com no later than January 25, 2019. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the EU, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data. For more information, please read the EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice here: https://chemonics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/EU-Recruiting-Data-Privacy-Notice-12.2018.pdf
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.