Abt Associates seeks a qualified COVID-19 Advisor for the Local Health System Sustainability Project’s Jordan Activity (LHSS/Jordan). The LHSS Project is USAID’s flagship initiative in integrated health systems strengthening, with a goal to help low- and middle- income countries transition to sustainable, self-financed health systems as a means to support universal health coverage. LHSS/Jordan in particular will work with the Ministry of Health (MOH) and private sector in country to 1) strengthen the Jordanian contact tracing system; 2) provide rapid support to improve Jordan’s immediate COVID-19 diagnostic capacity and address gaps in Jordan’s lab network for infectious disease detection; 3) provide assistance to private and public sector partners for COVID-19 case management and surge support; and 4) advocate to develop a legal framework for telemedicine services.
This is a full-time position based in Amman, Jordan, working under the supervision of the Activity’s Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP).
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The Advisor will have the following specific duties and responsibilities:
- Leads planning, development, and implementation of the Activity’s COVID-19 response activities, including work plan development and management of staff, reporting requirements, and deliverables;
- Oversees the Activity’s Clinical Advisor and Lab Specialist and offers technical guidance in areas of health surveillance system improvement, national diagnostic and COVID-19 detection capacity, case management and surge support capabilities, and telemedicine services;
- Provides technical guidance to the Chief of Party on responding to the Jordanian COVID-19 response;
- Participates in national, subnational, or regional meetings with government and partners to discuss strengthening surveillance and diagnostic capacity, testing capabilities, health care worker trainings on pandemic response, and telemedicine service availability; and
- Coordinates with LHSS home office colleagues on effectively managing the COVID-19 response.
- Master’s degree or higher in public health, medicine, nursing, international development, or other related fields. Experience with infectious disease, health security, epidemic response, or related areas is required.
- Minimum 10 years’ prior experience in providing technical leadership in designing, implementing, and monitoring/evaluating donor-funded programs focused on public health (e.g., infectious disease, maternal and child health, etc.).
- Training and experience in the public health and clinical dimensions of COVID-19.
- Experience working in similar USAID-funded projects preferred.
- Strong English writing/speaking skills required and fluency in Arabic preferred.
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.