Scope and Objectives
The Kaizen Company is searching for a CSO Expert for the anticipated USAID/Ethiopia Strengthening Accountable Governance and Civic Engagement in Ethiopia (SAGCE). Through SAGCE, USAID/Ethiopia seeks to strategically use its convening power and limited resources to support Ethiopian stakeholders from government, civil society and the private sector in applying locally-led, problem driven, adaptive approaches to address the proposed objectives. These include: (1) Sub-national government ability to meet citizen needs strengthened; (2.1) Mechanisms for citizen input in government policy processes strengthened; (2.2) Citizen access to information and independent media improved; and (2.3) Civil society capacity to conduct advocacy and oversight strengthened.
- Serves a central role in coordinating and collaborating with key personnel, senior Government of Ethiopia officials, and local government officials to fulfill the expected outcomes under the proposed objective 2.3
- Responsible for shaping the activity’s approach to strengthening the organizational and technical capacity of national, regional and local CSOs and other civic actors that work on democracy and human rights issues
- Support CSOs to shape policy and budget priorities, deliver public services, and implement democratic and economic reforms
- Support the strengthening of multi-stakeholder partnerships to advocate for and monitor policy and accountability reforms
- Advanced degree in political or social science, international development, or a related field.
- At least 5 years professional experience in development working with multi-stakeholder partnerships and national, regional and local CSOs, or other civic actors
- Demonstrated ability to establish engaged relationships with national, regional and local CSOs to reform governance processes
- Demonstrated ability to engage the relevant civic organizations in advocacy and policy reforms
- Previous work experience in Ethiopia
- Strong communication skills, in written and oral English
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to successfully convene diverse, multidisciplinary groups.
- Previous experience working on US Government-funded programs of similar scale and scope, including particularly USAID programs
- Ethiopian national citizenship status
About the Organization
The Kaizen Company (Kaizen) is a development consulting firm that cultivates innovative, scalable solutions that address emerging market challenges and opportunities. For more than a decade, Kaizen has brought innovation into the world of donor-funded international development in Africa, Central Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America/Caribbean, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia.
In parallel, Kaizen has been incubating innovations to scale through market forces to achieve development objectives without the need for donor funding. Our proven solutions catalyze locally driven organizational and institutional performance improvements and establish communities of practice that facilitate peer-to-peer learning and the achievement of shared goals.
We leverage existing knowledge, technology, and new media, and local peer networks to support local reforms. Since our inception, we have provided support to more than 100 government, private-sector, and non-profit organizations in markets worldwide.