RTI’s Uzbekistan Education for Excellence Program (UEEP) is seeking a short-term consultant with experitiese in curriculum materials development for grades 1-4. UEEP is a four-year initiative, funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to support the goal of improving the reading, mathematics, technology, and English skills of students in the country’s public schools.
The Program is implemented by RTI International (RTI) in partnership with Florida State University and Mississippi State University to provide the expertise and experience needed to help MPE achieve and sustain the anticipated outcomes of the Program. The Program focuses on three main results: (1) improving Uzbek reading and math outcomes in early grades; (2) supporting information technology instruction; and (3) improving English language instruction.
The period of performance for this consultancy will be 6 months (February-July 2021) in Tashkent City, Uzbekistan. UEEP is committed to gender equality, social inclusion, transparency as well as local ownership and sustainability.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Curriculum Materials Development Consultant will help prepare manage the process for the development of print-ready files for at least 16 student textbooks and teacher guides for grades 1-4 Uzbek Language Arts and Mathematics instruction. The Consultant will guide and liaise with a team of some 8 national program staff/consultants as well as 2-3 international technical advisors located in Uzbekistan and the United States. The Consultant will guide and mentor the local team in writing textbook and teacher guide content, developing related illustrations, quality assuring the materials, and in composing the print-ready files. The Consulant is based in the central Program office in Tashkent and will report to the Program Chief of Party but work closely with the RTI home office technical team.
It is currently anticipated that preparation and related local team trainings would take place in February/March 2021. Materials development is scheduled for March through end of June 2021 with materials review by MPE staff taking place in parallel. Final revisions and submission of print-ready books for printing is scheduled for early July 2021.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Work with Home Office Subject Matter Experts to prepare training materials and tools for the materials development team training and materials development process
- Train, mentor, and support materials development teams for the two subjects
- Faciliate and lead the development of the grades 1-4 student textbooks and teacher guides for ULA and Mathematics with the support of RTI Home Office Subject Matter Experts
- Ensure that there is a high level of engagement and collaboration among the materials development teams
- Monitor and ensure the quality of the development process and the revised student textbooks and teacher guides
- Report progress to Program leadership and Home Office Subject Matter Experts
- Advise on and support implementation of orientation training for MPE Product Review Groups (PRG) for ULA and Mathematics
- Oversee production of draft Grades 1-4 ULA and Mathematics student textbooks and teacher guides, present them for review, and incorporate feedback and comments from the MPE PRG
- Submit final Grades 1-4 ULA and mathematics student textbooks and teacher guides to Program leadership
- Submit Final Overall Report on the development process that includes the technical procedures followed in each sub-process along with the tools and resources used in the development process.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Elementary Education, Education, Language Arts, Curriculum Design, or related field.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in education, incuding a combination of teaching experience and at least 5 years of experience in curriculum materials development for reading and/or mathematics instruction, with experience in language arts/literacy teaching and materials development a plus
- Near-native level of proficiency in English required; proficiency in Russian or Uzbek a plus.
Required Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and manage diverse, distributed teams performing under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to plan activities in detail and to work under tight deadlines on simultaneous tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee, manage, and coordinate all aspects of curriculum development process, quality assurance, and process reporting.
- Demonstrated computer literacy including proficiency in Microsoft applications (especially Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) and familiarity with cloud-based computing.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, with limited supervision
- Excellent self-management skills and highly organized and responsive with excellent follow-through on assigned tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to respond to unexpected changes and to handle stress in a professional manner.
- Excellent attention to detail, record-keeping and document management skills.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to gender and social inclusion, including working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to function as part of a team.