Job Title/Grade: MfDR Data Analyst I/II (5-6)
Department: Technical Services
Reports to: Global Practice Specialist
Date: May 9, 2018
Function of the Position:
The Managing for Development Results (MfDR) Team at DAI leverages data for measuring results and improving the impact of our global development projects. The Data Analyst I/II will be key member of this team, leveraging their creativity and critical thinking skills to support proposals and projects in using data in many ways. S/he will provide data mining, extraction, and analysis of project results data across DAI’s project portfolio. S/he will be part of a rapidly growing team that prides itself on high standards and executional excellence. The MfDR Data Analyst will have a focused responsibility to provide data services and analysis for corporate initiatives, while learning the domain of data science in international development. This is a full-time professional position within DAI’s USG Business Unit.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The percenages below are notional and may change depending on business needs.
- Support corporate efforts to mine, extract, and analyze historical project results data.
- Develop comprehensive data sets across technical areas, such as Public Financial Management (PFM) or Work Force Development
- Support MfDR Data Scientists in cleaning and transforming corporate data for use in dashboards and advanced analytics
- Support the development of new tools and resources for data consumption and aggregation
New Business (20%)
- Leverage data and analytics during proposal development and help new business teams with data-driven tasks, such as forecasting, target setting, and design of data processes/systems.
- Support HR staff in identifying key skills for new hires and recruit data specialists for project teams
Knowledge Sharing & Learning (30%)
- Learn, develop, and apply new analytic techniques (including machine learning) to DAI results data
- Support the DAI Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) community of practice related to data use.
Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
Grade 5: 2 years professional experience and a Bachelor’s degree; or a Masters degree.
Grade 6: 3 years professional experience and a Bachelor’s degree or 1 year professional experience and a Masters degree.
- Knowledge of at least one: SQL, Java Script, R, Python, or other programming languages
- Experience with quantitative or qualitative statistical analysis
- Experience with mobile data collection apps
- Experience with data-driven research
- Strong writing, presentation, and communication skills
- Ability to travel up to 15% to all countries where DAI implements its projects, barring times when DAI Global security has deemed travel unsafe.
- Results focused; creative and curious attitude
- Ability to meet deadlines, take initiative and accomplish work with minimal supervision.
- Strong critical thinking capabilities with an ability to rapidly assess situational needs, develop problem solving strategies, and implement sustainable solutions.
- Experience working successfully and respectfully in local communities in developing world setting.
- Fluency in secondary language (eg. Spanish, French, Russian, or Arabic) is preferred
Supervisory Requirements: None.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. EOE - Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
About the Organization
DAI is an employee-owned global development company. For 40 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governments, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 60 countries. Our integrated development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines—crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS and disease control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.