Requisition ID: req679
Job Title: Data Architect
Sector: Information Technology
Employment Category: Regular
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and in 22 US cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IT department supports the organization’s work by providing reliable and scalable applications and infrastructure for the IRC’s offices in the US and around the world, including many technologically challenging locations.
The Data Architect is responsible for the creation, maintenance, use, and management of IRC’s master data models, information models, data architecture and standards, and their lower level components across all technology, information systems and infrastructure maintained by information technology or business departments.
The Data Architect will ensure that overall IRC information and technology systems apply a consistent integrated data architecture and master data model and practices that meet IRC’s governance, policies, standards, security, and business needs.
The Data Architect will have primary responsibility to collaborate with operations and programs users worldwide to design data and information architecture governance and standards across all IRC system and the operational functioning and maintenance of those standards.
* Develops and manages the practice and documentation of technology data architecture at IRC
* Collaborates with operations, programs, and technology staff to align existing systems with strategic data architecture
* Collaborates with stakeholders across IRC operational and programs departments to review the objectives and constraints of solutions and determine appropriate architecture and conformance with IRC standards
* Recommends the suitable technical architectures and defines high level solutions
* Identifies and recommends areas appropriate for further study and participates in any Proof of Concept projects required to thoroughly investigate architectural possibilities
* Recommends and participates in the analysis, evaluation and development of long term strategic and operating systems plans to ensure alignment with architectural objectives
* Creates master data architecture blueprints for IRC technology, information systems and technology infrastructure
* Defines long term data management architecture and delivery to meet operational, programmatic and business intelligence needs
* Advises and recommends data architecture strategies, processes and methodologies
* Develop standards and architecture for IRC systems data integration frameworks and delivery
* Defines standard and architecture for data management at IRC including strategies, master data, architecture, warehousing, movement, integration, visualization, and reporting
* Defines and operates the practice of data governance
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: Director, Applications
Position directly supervises: Data Management Specialist
Indirect Reporting: N/A
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
* IT Directors
* Application Business Owners
* Business Systems Managers
* Vendors and Consultants
* Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with at least 8 years of professional work experience in information systems, software development or information management.
* 5+ years in a senior enterprise architect or data architect role that includes responsibilities for documentation, strategy, leadership, governance, and operations
* 10+ years of experience working with advanced SQL
* 10+ years of experience managing data analysis, conversions, source to target mappings, testing, operations for automated ETL tools
* 5+ years of experience with Business Intelligence tools and methods such as PowerBI, and Tableau including enterprise deployment and delivery of data
* Expert proficiency with concepts of structured and unstructured data modeling, warehousing, normalization, entity models and analytical schemas, columnar models, and other data design concepts
* Experience of multiple partial or complete ERP implementations and typical master data requirements
* 10+ years of experience with at least 2 different major relational database management systems
* 5+ years of experience with unstructured data management
* Strong understanding of data quality concepts, processes, and strategies
* Ability to constantly learn and adapt to new technologies
* Truly excellent interpersonal skills; ability to effectively listen to and liaise with colleagues on all levels in a global, distributed, multicultural, detail-oriented environment (without losing a sense of humor)
* Experience talking to operations and programs users in non-technical language
* Extremely strong visual, presentation, and communication skills
* Proven ability to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional team structure
Preferred Additional Qualifications
* TOGAF or equivalent certification
* Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations (formerly AX) related data structures and entities
* Completion of Enterprise Architecture certifications or specific coursework as part of a graduate degree in information management.
* Experience with Microsoft Azure data technologies
* Experience with AWS and Google Cloud data technologies
* Experience with an international nonprofit in the delivery of systems across varying IT infrastructure and low/intermittent bandwidth scenarios
* Experience contributing to open-source projects
* Systems administration experience
* Standard office working environment.
* Some international travel as needed.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.