SCOPE OF WORK
Ukraine Economic Resilience Activity (ERA)
Data Management Specialist
April 1, 2021
March 31, 2022
Up to 10 days a month
Up to 120 days a year total
Base of Operations
position reports to
Monitoring, Evaluation, Adapting and Learning (MEAL) Director
1. Project Background:
The purpose of the USAID Economic Resilience Activity is to improve the overall economic resilience of eastern Ukraine in response to Russian aggression, which has disrupted critical market linkages, catalyzed the economic decline of previously dominant industries, and caused massive population disruption. Resilience is “the ability of people, households, communities, countries, and systems to mitigate, adapt to, and recover from shocks and stresses in a manner that reduces chronic vulnerability and facilitates inclusive growth.” This activity aims to improve the economic resilience of eastern Ukraine through accomplishing the following objectives:
· Inclusion: building the capabilities of vulnerable populations to capitalize on entrepreneurial and MSME economic opportunities;
· Growth: helping micro, small and medium businesses innovate, invest, and expand markets; and
· Transformation: working with coalitions and leaders to articulate a vision for the future and put in place a modern, diverse, SME-friendly economy.
By accomplishing these objectives, the economy of eastern Ukraine will be more diversified, more integrated with the rest of Ukraine, less dependent on Russia, and the region’s residents will be better equipped to compete for the jobs of the future, thereby improving the economic resilience of the region. The activity will work primarily in the oblasts most affected by Russia’s aggression, Donetsk and Luhansk—together known as the “Donbas” region—but will also be active in the surrounding oblasts and throughout Ukraine as required to achieve the objectives.
2. Roles Purpose:
ERA Data Management Specialist will support ERA MEL team in developing, maintaining and monitoring ERA MEL system. The consultant will work directly with the ERA MEAL Director and MEL team to support and improve data management processes within Ukraine ERA. S/he will be responsible for managing and integrating databases, ensuring consistency and availability of the data. The consultant will also be responsible for maximizing usability of the system through regular consultation and capacity building of the wider ERA team on MEL and data management tools and workflows.
3. Objectives and Duties:
· Maintain and develop ERA MEL system, including data modelling and integration.
· Support the development and implementation of online and offline data collection and data entry tools to meet monitoring, evaluation, and reporting needs.
· Address challenges related to data quality, consistency and availability through verification, cleaning and regular updates of data.
· In collaboration with the MEAL Director, responsible for designing and providing regular staff training, technical support, and oversight of data management processes.
· Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Software Engineering, Computer Science or any Computing discipline. Graduates with non-technical backgrounds but relevant experience will also be considered. Master’s degree preferred.
· At least 2 years of relevant professional experience.
· Experience in using REST APIs is a distinct advantage.
· Familiarity with data collection tools, e.g. Fulcrum App, KoBoToolbox, ONA, SurveyCTO, is strongly preferred.
· Knowledge of and experience with any of the following is an additional plus:
o automated data integration
o data modelling
o relational databases
o data interchange formats, i.e. JSON, XML
o data visualization
· Experience with Microsoft Power BI is desired.
· Previous experience working in the international development or humanitarian sector, preferably in a MEL or research capacity (optional)
· English proficiency required.
All shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a test assignment.