Data Quality Assessment (DQA) for USAID/Egypt
DQA International Team Leaders
Services to Improve Performance Management, Enhance Learning and Evaluation (SIMPLE) is a USAID-funded activity based in Cairo, Egypt and implemented by the QED Group. SIMPLE provides a host of services to support USAID/Egypt’s Program and Technical Offices in areas including monitoring, evaluation, program design, and information management. Data Quality Assessments in one area of support under SIMPLE.
One of the most critical functions in performance management and reporting is to ensure that the data reported from implementing partners to USAID, and then on to Washington are of sufficiently good quality that (1) they can be used for management purposes—both for the implementing partner and for USAID staff—and (2) are an accurate representation of the accomplishments of USAID’s program.
To meet these criteria, USAID missions are required to conduct data quality assessments (DQAs) of all activity indicator data at least once every three years. More frequent DQAs may be required, particularly if significant problems are found.
The QED Group, under the SIMPLE monitoring and evaluation contract with USAID/Egypt, is seeking two senior international monitoring and evaluation specialists to serve as international team leaders for a Data Quality Assessment (DQA) for USAID/Egypt. The assignments are anticipated to start in mi-February 2019 and last for a duration of 4- 6 weeks in-country. The assignments will take place mostly in Cairo, other selected locations in Egypt may be included, where a six-day work week is authorized. The final portion of the assignment will be conducted remotely from the specialists’ homes to finalize and revise reports as required. The roles and responsibilities of the two positions are the same but one individual be designated as the senior international team leader, with additional LOE for final report writing and revision.
QED/SIMPLE has developed data quality assessment checklist and organizational data management documentation which has been field tested on previous DQAs and will make these available to the DQA team. USAID CORs/AORs and local Egyptian M&E consultants will accompany the international team leaders on field visits. In addition, the team will liaise with a SIMPLE task manager and be supported by a field coordinator hired to handle logistical arrangements for the activity.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Prepare a work plan for review/approval by the task manager at SIMPLE, including a schedule of visits to be confirmed prior to the arrival of the team in-country.
- Conduct desk review, including USAID project and implementing partner activity reports, M&E plans and previous DQA reports prior to arrival in-country.
- Train local consultants and ensure that they are prepared for interviews. Maintain overall mentoring as needed.
- Lead visits to implementing partner offices to interview staff and review documentation.
- Complete DQA and organizational checklists for indicators and implementing partners and write memoranda with findings and recommendations. Review and update PIRS.
- Ensure that DQA schedules are kept and that all deliverables are submitted on time.
- Oversee DQA team, providing coordination and supervision.
- In accordance with USAID and SIMPLE templates, write draft final DQA report summarizing DQA activities, synthesis showing cross cutting findings, recommendations, lessons learned and success stories.
- Reviews all documents in preparation, including final review prior to submission to SIMPLE; revise reports as required based upon feedback from USAID.
- Prepare and deliver debriefing presentations during and on completion of DQA field activities.
- Meet with Implementing Partners to discuss findings of report, if desired, after the exercise is completed.
- Master’s Degree plus 8 years of experience in development sector.
- Experience conducting USAID data quality assessments, including conducting site visits for activity verification and data reviews.
- Minimum of five years of direct work with USAID Performance Management systems.
- Understanding of USAID performance management standards and guidelines including ADS Chapters 200 and 203 and related documents.
- Ability to be flexible and work well under pressure, dealing with competing priorities, in a fast-paced team environment.
- Fluent in spoken and written English. Strong reporting-writing skills.
- Previous experience in Egypt and knowledge of Egyptian Arabic useful, but not a deciding factor.
About the Organization
The QED Group, LLC, is a full-service international consulting firm committed to solving complex global challenges through innovative solutions. We are determined to provide all our clients with best-value services so they increase their efficiency, learning capacity, and accountability to the public in an ever more complex and interconnected world. Through Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning and Knowledge Management practice areas, QED is working to maximize our clients' return on investment through accountability, continuous learning, and sound management.