Job Title/Grade: Global Practice Specialist II/Senior Global Practice Specialist I/II, Data Science (9-11)
Department: Technical Services
Reports to: Global Practice Leader
Function of the Position:
The Managing for Development Results (MfDR) Team at DAI leverages data for measuring results and improving the impact of our global development projects. The Global Practice Specialist, Data Science will be key member of this team, leveraging their creativity and critical thinking skills to support proposals and projects in using data in many ways. S/he will support DAI’s efforts to improve data collection, management, analysis, and sharing that demonstrates our project outputs, outcomes, and impacts. S/he will be part of a rapidly growing team that prides itself on high standards and executional excellence. The Global Practice Specialist, Data Science will have a focused responsibility to provide technical support to USAID projects primarily in Europe, Africa, and Asia. This is a full-time professional position within DAI’s USG Business Unit, with travel up to 40% time.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The percentages listed below are notional and may change depending on business needs.
- Assist in the creation of scalable, efficient, automated processes for large scale data analyses, model development, model validation and model implementation across projects and technical sectors.
- Work with home office and field staff to support teams around the world throughout the project life cycle, including participation in rapidly assigned Short Term Technical Assignment (STTA), developing data tools and reporting dashboards, and building the data skills of local staff.
- Extend DAI’s capabilities into new fields, such as Deep Neural Networks and traditional Machine Learning.
New Business (10%)
- Leverage data and analytics during proposal development and help new business teams with data-driven tasks, such as forecasting, target setting, and design of data processes/systems.
- Support HR staff in identifying key skills for new hires and recruit data specialists for project teams
Knowledge Sharing & Learning (20%)
- Conduct outreach to, and training activities for, DAI staff on various aspects of data science.
- Collect, document and distribute best practices for DAI on visualizations, analaysis approaches, and other emerging skills.
- Develop template and resources of Business Intelligence (BI) dashboards for home office and project team use.
- Support the DAI Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) community of practice related to data use.
Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Grade 9: 7 years relevant professional experience and Bachelors degree; OR 5 years relevant professional experience and a Masters degree.
- Grade 10: 9 years relevant professional experience and Bachelors degree; OR 7 years relevant professional experience and a Masters degree.
- Grade 11: 11 years relevant professional experience and Bachelors degree; OR 9 years relevant professional experience and a Masters degree.
- Proficiency in at least one: SQL, Java Script, R, Python, or other programming languages
- Knowledge of data modeling and/or transformation.
- Experience with Microsoft data technology (Azure, Power BI) or similar business intelligence (BI) and data visualization software.
- Experience with mobile data collection apps
- Able to travel internationally up to 40% of the time.
- Interest in training and teaching data skills to a global work force
- Results focused; creative and curious attitude
- Ability to meet deadlines, take initiative and accomplish work with minimal supervision.
- Strong critical thinking capabilities with an ability to rapidly assess situational needs, develop problem solving strategies, and implement sustainable solutions.
- Experience working in low-resource settings
- Comfortable independently managing technical deliverables in fast-moving field environments.
- Experience working successfully and respectfully in local communities in developing world setting.
- Fluency in secondary language (eg. Spanish, French, Russian, or Arabic)
Supervisory Requirements: None.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. EOE - Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
About the Organization
DAI is an employee-owned global development company. For 40 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governments, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 60 countries. Our integrated development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines—crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS and disease control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.