Tetra Tech International Development Services, headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, is accepting applications for a Data Steward Intern to work alongside our Technology for Development (T4D) team. During this internship, you will support the implementation of data governance, management and learning initiatives as they apply to a diverse portfolio of international development projects. This internship can help start a successful career in development, building skillsets, expanding networks, and providing real-world experience in this challenging but rewarding work.
What do we do?
Tetra Tech International Development Services provides scientific, sustainable, and industry-leading solutions to tackle the world’s most complex challenges. Service areas include: agriculture and economic growth (AEG), environment and natural resources (ENR), democracy and governance (DG), land tenure and property rights (LTPR), and water resources and infrastructure (WRI). Tetra Tech creates practical, environmentally responsible solutions for federal agencies, governments, multilateral banks, and multilateral corporations worldwide.
This internship is paid, and hours are flexible, between 24-40 per week: duration is at least six months. Application deadline is August 14, 2020, and the Internship will start on or around Monday, August 31, 2020. This position can be based out of our Burlington, Vermont or Arlington Virginia office, as well as remotely.
What you will be responsible for:
* Assist project teams with identification, cleaning and management of datasets. This will include clearly communicating requirements and expectations for responsible data management, assisting with cleaning and standardization of data, and working with teams to ensure appropriate management procedures are followed
* Contribute to the development of standard operating procedures (SOPs) and guidance related to data governance and responsible data management and use
* Support development and delivery of data literacy education materials and trainings, particularly pertaining to data management and data cleaning
* Design data visualizations for dashboards and reporting
* Perform other relevant duties as identified by the T4D team
What we need from you:
* Recently completed or in progress Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in a field related to international development, applied research, or data analysis preferred
* Demonstrated experience working with datasets and familiarity with data management best practices
* Clear and effective communications skills, especially across cultures and hierarchies required
* Consistently strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow through required
* Strong analytical skills, ability to think big picture strategy and navigate details to ensure accuracy
* High competency in Microsoft Excel required
* Experience with the ESRI suite (ArcGIS Desktop, Pro, Online) or QGIS preferred
* Experience with data visualization software (Power BI or Tableau) preferred
* Familiarity with mobile data collection tools, ICT4D, or Principles for Digital Development
* Demonstrated technical writing skills and capacity to synthesize high volumes of information into key messages and to various audiences
* Strong interpersonal skills, energy, and an enthusiastic collaborator
* Ability to remain poised and focused in a fast-paced environment
* Ability to work in the US without employer sponsorship
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological format
Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees - 20,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.