Devex is supporting a nonprofit organization dedicated to assisting developing countries in adaptation and mitigation practices to counter climate change, in their search for a Database Developer.
The organization is currently seeking an exceptional candidate to undertake the position of Database Developer, who will assist with the overall architecture, design, development, and maintenance of database systems and services in support of the organization’s business functions. The position reports to the Manager, Enterprise Software Architecture, which is within the ICT Department of the CFO & Division of Support Services. The Database Developer will work on multiple projects as a team member and may lead projects of moderate complexity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage Azure SQL databases through multiple application lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems;
- Review, design and develop data models in conjunction with the Software Development team;
- Tuning databases to optimize performance as workloads change, including tasks such as database design, index creation, database optimization and performance tuning;
- Assist in realizing, planning and managing the application migration process;
- Implement processes to ensure data quality in the database systems; and
- Work closely with the organization’s entire ICT team to ensure high-quality outcomes of ICT integration efforts.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, advanced application of ICT technology, or a related field;
- At least four years (for IS-2 level) or seven years (for IS-3 level) of ICT and business/industry experience in designing, implementing and maintaining relational database systems;
- Deep knowledge and experience designing, administrating and tuning relational databases including Microsoft SQL Server 2008-2016 solutions, Azure SQL, or other databases;
- Experience in cloud computing platforms (Azure, AWS, or Google);
- Advanced SQL coding, tuning and query optimization;
- Proficient in PowerShell, or similar scripting language;
- Knowledge of source code control, debugging, code base management, and software development methodologies;
- Knowledge of data warehouse development, integration, analysis and reporting tools;
- Familiarity with business-critical and high-availability context;
- Understanding of overall system architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance in a database environment;
- Experience in the use of an ETL development tool is an advantage;
- Azure or AWS certifications are advantageous;
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing;
- Strong track record of learning new tools, technologies, and frameworks; and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential for this position; knowledge of another language an advantage.
The person assessed by the Selection Panel as most suitable for the position will be proposed for appointment. The above criteria should be seen as indicators of the qualifications, experience, and skills that would qualify candidates for consideration. Other combinations of academic qualifications and years of experience may be considered.
Selection among short-listed candidates will also take into account performance at interview, appropriate testing, and references.
Eligibility for certain benefits shall depend on the place of recruitment and residence, as determined by the Fund in accordance with its rules.
- Planning and Organizing
- Client orientation