DCA INVESTMENT OFFICER (LAC/E&E) US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Visionary Consulting Partners seeks an Investment Officer (Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe and Eurasia) to support USAID’s Development Credit Authority (DCA). Duties will be performed in Washington, DC. Job Posting Open until filled.
US Citizenship required.
Development Credit Authority (DCA) structures and issues partial credit guarantees to encourage private capital lending to creditworthy but underserved borrowers throughout the developing world. These guarantees, which typically cover 50% of realized loss, enable USAID to leverage private sector wealth for sustainable economic development. Since 1999, the DCA has supported over 600 risk-sharing guarantees and has made available over $6 billion in private financing to more than 350,000 entrepreneurs around the world. The guarantee is a flexible tool that can be applied to a wide range of development projects and are available to virtually any type of lender seeking to deploy debt capital into the markets in which USAID programs operate.
For each guarantee, DCA provides project development, risk assessment, and portfolio monitoring services to mission field offices worldwide. DCA is organized into regional teams consisting of several investment officers and relationship managers, who manage new transactions, as well as the active portfolio of guarantees. DCA also provides client services to USAID missions, monitors and manages the Agency’s legacy credit portfolio, serves as the central technical repository of credit-related information and best practices, and serves as an advisor to senior leadership on the broader issues of access to capital and the growth of capital markets.
On October 5, 2018, the President signed into law the Better Utilization of Investments Leading to Development Act of 2018 (“BUILD Act”). The BUILD Act modernizes and reforms the U.S. Government’s development finance capabilities – primarily the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) and Development Credit Authority (DCA) of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) – and consolidates them into a new agency: The United States International Development Finance Corporation (DFC).
As with the DCA program, the team will continue to assist in structuring Mission-sponsored transactions, coordinating relevant DFC internal approvals, transferring the required USAID funds to DFC to cover the subsidy cost, supporting disbursements, strategic engagement with financial institutions, and compliance with applicable requirements through the life of the transaction in close collaboration with the partner Missions.
Scope of Work
The selected candidate will join a team of investment officers on the Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe and Eurasia Team to further develop the regional DCA portfolio. The consultant will specialize in designing, structuring and negotiating partial-credit guarantees and other DFC tools, as well as, assessing all facets of risks in sectors that include but are not limited to agribusiness, energy, small medium enterprises, leasing, health and education. Specifically, the consultant will:
• Originate, structure, and assess the credit risk of DCA guarantees and other DFC tools in collaboration with USAID’s missions Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe and Eurasia and other technical operating units.
• Cultivate relationships with a variety of external partners including investment funds, corporations, donors, other private sector actors, as well as power/infrastructure developers, sponsors, and companies.
• Prepare and present the investment proposal including analytical risk assessment/due diligence to the USAID’s Credit Review Board.
• Evaluate and advise on financial markets and private business development, and on the formulation of projects in diverse sectors in Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe and Eurasia.
• Prepare the market assessment and risk assessment in accordance with management guidance and following the Microsoft Word and Excel templates provided by the regional team lead.
• Identify business opportunities in Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe and Eurasia.
• Foster relationships with various stakeholders in the Agency and with financial, business and technical assistance providers.
• Meet with the partner financial institutions to originate, structure, and perform a risk assessment and other analysis as required in accordance with USAID’s credit policies and procedures.
• Present the investment proposal(s) to the Agency’s Credit Review Board via telephone or in-person.
The ideal candidate will have relevant international development experience and a strong financial, credit, and structuring skills set, including:
• 4+ years of experience in financial statement analysis.
• An advanced degree in finance, economics, business, international development, or a related field.
• Experience in supporting development/finance projects in Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe and Eurasia.
• Knowledge of relevant industry (development finance) and key sectors (energy, agriculture, SME finance) trends.
• Proven business development and client relationship skills.
• Superior analytical and critical thinking skills.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Exceptional interpersonal, problem solving, and time management skills.
• Willingness and ability to travel internationally, sometimes under short notice.
• Advanced proficiency in Spanish is critical.
Required Application Materials
The following application materials must accompany applications:
• Contact information for two references
Write Position #VCP-E3DC-1825 on the subject line. Please submit all required documents listed above to email@example.com . Also please submit Form AID 1420-17 as part of your application. The form can be found at http://www.usaid.gov/forms. Only finalists will be contacted. No telephone inquiries, please.
Organization Information: Visionary Consulting Partners, LLC is a Woman Owned, equal opportunity employer.