Job DescriptionRTI•s International Development Group (www.rti.org/idg) is accepting expressions of interest for the position of Deaf Specialist under the USAID funded All Children Reading Cambodia project.
The All Children Reading-Cambodia project will improve the early grade reading skills of children in grades 1 to 3 in Cambodia. The project will assist the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport (MoEYS), its development partners (DPs), and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) to harmonize approaches, and support the implementation of early grade reading interventions in Kampong Thom in the 2018-2019 school year.The Deaf Specialist will•serve•as•a member•of•the All Children Reading-Cambodia project•team with•the responsibility of supporting the work related•to inclusive education for children with disabilities in two districts in Kampong Thom (Stueng Sen, Kampong Svay).
The key project activities include: training teachers; conducting disability screenings; communicating with families of children with disabilities; and providing bridging classes to children (aged between 4-8 years) who are deaf or blind, and who are not currently in school. A team of Bridge Class Facilitators will support these younger learners through one-to-one tuition to prepare them for entry to primary school.
In this context, the Deaf Specialist will support communication and provide sign language interpretation with deaf children and Bridge Class Facilitators. S/he will provide regular and frequent Cambodian Sign Language (CSL) and deaf culture training to hearing and deaf adults, including teachers, parents, facilitators and young children. The role supports the Inclusive Education team and Bridge Class Facilitators to ensure quality support, and effective communication with deaf adults and children.•
The Deaf Specialist will•work•with•the Inclusive Education Advisor, Inclusive Education Specialist, Inclusive Education Officers and Bridge Class Facilitators to:•
- Provide Cambodian Sign Language (CSL) and deaf culture training to Bridge Class Facilitators, All Children Reading-Cambodia staff and other interested individuals;
- Communicate with project participants who are deaf (children and adults);
- Utilize skills in Cambodian Sign Language to interpret/translate any conversation, meeting, training session, interview, or other requested event. Additionally, provide oral interpreting to employees who do not know sign language;•
- Participate in,•and facilitate•training•of•mainstream teachers,•school directors and literacy coaches•on basic signs and methods of including students who are deaf or hard of hearing;
- Conduct regular visits•to project schools to observe and assist•Bridge Class Facilitators to provide non-formal•education•classes for deaf children aged between 4 and 8 years;
- Engage•Bridge Class Facilitators, self-help groups/ DPOs, schools and CCWC to organize village sign language training;
- Assist with the administering of the adapted early grade reading assessment (and other related assessments)• for students who are deaf;
- Perform general support duties as necessary, when not interpreting on a full-time basis, as required
- Document the•above•activities•for reports•and•communication•with•staff and/or partners.•
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- 6 months sign language experience;
- Experience working with people•who•are deaf/hard of hearing.•
Desired Education and Experience:
- Degree•in related fields•required, focus•on disability related issues•and/or•education desirable with 6 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- At least one year of sign language experience;
- Experience•working•with•children•with•disabilities, ideally in a•school or•another•education setting;•
- Experience training•others, experience training / supporting teachers preferred;
- Experience•with•engaging and mobilizing•communities.
Other Desired Skills•and•Abilities•
- Knowledge of Deaf culture;
- Willingness to be located in Kampong Thom Province;
- Excellent interpersonal•and•organizational skills,•with•a problem-solving, proactive attitude,•and capacity•to•work both independently•and•as•a•collaborative team player;
- Flexibility•and•ability•to•handle multiple tasks simultaneously.•
- Strong oral•and•written communications skills;
- Language skills: Khmer and Cambodian Sign Language required. English is desirable;
- Willingness to•travel to schools within the province•on a daily basis•during the school year;••
- Ability and willingness to drive own motorbike (fuel costs•will be•reimbursed);
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to interpret Khmer to CSL and from CSL to Khmer.
About the OrganizationIDG International Education