Job Title: Dean of Students
Department: Student Affairs
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Reports to: Vice President of Student and Institutional Affairs
Reports from: Registrar, Director of Student Services, Director of Admissions
No. of position: 1
Vacancy #: AF-INT-10-2020
Position Announcement close date: March 31, 2020
The Dean of Students plans and directs university activities related to student services and campus life. As an administrator, the Dean of Students oversees and coordinates admissions, student affairs, registrar, financial aid, and student housing. The Office of a Dean of Students is responsible for serving as a point of information for students and responding to students’ needs. The Dean of Students is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to respond to student needs as they arise.
The mission of the position (overall goal):
To support the University in achieving key institutional objectives, among them:
- Enhancement in the quality and scope of student academic, personal, and professional achievement.
- Ensuring high quality in operations of the staff and student workers.
- Improving administrative and resource support to faculty, staff, and students to achieve the new strategic mission.
Will collaborate with other campus leaders to design quality student services and advocate for students.
- Oversee student services and develop programs, policies, and services for student support, in cooperation with academic departments.
- Manage the recruitment and admission of new students and supervise the Admissions Office.
- Manage award of financial aid and scholarships to students and supervise the Office of Student Finances.
- Oversee the Office of Registrar.
- Develop and manage relationships with potential donors and current donors, along with the Development Office.
- Supervise the U.S. Embassy Scholarship Office and work with the U.S. Embassy Public Affairs Section regarding U.S. Government funded scholarships.
- Oversee the Office of Student Housing and the male and female residence halls.
- Develop and enforce the policy and processes for student concerns and grievances. Provide oversight and investigation into student concerns and grievances escalated to the Dean’s Office.
- Develop and manage reports of academic dishonesty and conduct.
- Maintain up-to-date student webpages and social media sites.
- Develop curriculum, teach and provide leadership and supervision for credit-bearing courses in student success, career skills, and leadership, as well as for experiential learning such as internships and service-learning.
- Oversee the personnel functions for all department staff and student hires.
- Coordinate new hires, onboarding, and orientation process and/or procedures for all direct reports and division staff.
- Conduct the performance evaluation process for managerial staff.
- Develop and implement professional development programs for staff.
- Manage the process for professional development funds for professional staff and student travel awards.
- Supervise graduate student worker(s). Assist with the supervision and training of student workers.
- Oversee strategic planning for student life.
- Serve on University committees regarding student support services, academic advising, and yearly commencement ceremonies. Serve on other committees as designated by the Vice President of Student and Institutional Affairs.
- Manage the collection, recording, and reporting of statistical data relevant to student affairs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Student and Institutional Affairs.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Attitude and demeanor for the Dean of Students:
As part of a work-environment that highly values a student-centric model, educational excellence, and service to students, all members of the office will:
- Publicly support the mission of AUAF
- Communicate effectively with understanding as s/he deals with administrative colleagues, teachers, students, parents, faculty, personnel and program associates
- Work as a team member in a professional environment
- Possess a “service attitude” (willingness to be flexible to meet the needs of the department)
- Have a professional physical appearance (appropriate clothing)
- Be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to deal with urgent student matters.
Essential Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree from a recognized institution in Higher Education/Student Affairs or similar with 5 years of relevant experience required. Doctoral degree in a relevant field preferred.
- Experience of 3-5 years in a managerial position responsible for a student affairs or student services unit, with demonstrated experience in overseeing areas such as compliance with student policies and procedures, student conduct, academic integrity, student success, etc.
- Record of growth in professional responsibility that demonstrates logical analysis, problem-solving, innovation, and leadership; ability to analyze data and use statistics for inferences and actionable decisions
- Ability to move the office forward in the development of the profession including effective outreach to other university areas to promote student learning outcomes; ability to change culture; a clear understanding of trends, policies, and regulations related to student life
- Experience in the adoption and use of technologies to increase productivity and accountability within the office; advanced understanding of relational database and ERP systems, preferably Power Campus, including the integration of self-service, advising and learning management, in a complex university setting, as well as of Learning Management Systems, preferably Canvas.
- Ability to develop curriculum and teach in credit-bearing courses aimed at increasing student success, student career planning, leadership skills, and other co-curricular learning experiences. Experience in designing and overseeing purposeful experiential learning such as internships and service-learning. Ability to supervise, evaluate and develop instructors in these areas.
- Effective communicator with interpersonal and communication skills to interact verbally and in writing with diverse constituencies, including students, faculty, and administrators; to facilitate teamwork among staff and in committees, and to foster effective working relationships externally with schools, colleges, organizations, and agencies
- Able to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Willingness to live on campus in university-provided housing and comply with restrictions on movement outside the campus
- Significant experience working in and institution of higher education in a developing country highly preferred.
- Cultural sensitivity and diversity awareness
- Strong leadership skills
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills
- Knowledge of crisis intervention techniques
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities
- Employee development and performance management skills
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments
- Strong assessment and analytical skills
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in Afghanistan.
To apply, please send as a single PDF or Word (doc.) format: a cover letter and curriculum vitae (CV), to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 31, 2020. Please, include Vacancy# AF-INT-10-2020 and Job Title “Dean of Students” in the subject line of the email, otherwise the application will not be considered. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. A written test or example of work may be used as a form of screening.
If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from the degree granting school directly to AUAF).
AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants.
AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.