Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC: Embedded Advisor to Empresa Nacional de Distribuição de Electricidade (ENDE)
Position: Embedded Advisor to Empresa Nacional de Distribuição de Electricidade (ENDE)
Recruitment Type: Angola Residents (Based in Luanda)
Project: Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP)
Location: Luanda, Angola
Estimated Delivery Range: From 1 May 2020 through 15 December 2020
Activities: Y3.02.09.01.ANG – Assist ENDE to set up and operationalize Project Implementation Unit (PIU) for the implementation of the AfDB Revenue Improvement Component of the Energy Sector Efficiency and Expansion Program
Estimated Level of Effort: Full-time basis and specific contracting terms will be subject to negotiation.
Language Requirement: Fluent in Portuguese and English.
Place of Delivery: ENDE, Luanda, Angola
Opportunity Closing Date: 17 April 2020 at 17:00 WAT
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people in the Southern African region and demonstrate leadership, versatility, and integrity in their work. We are seeking an exceptional Angolan Consultant for the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP).
The USAID Southern Africa Energy Program works to advance energy policy and regulatory reform, and accelerate investment to increase power generation and access to electricity throughout the region. According to World Bank data, less than 25% of the non-South African population living in the Southern African region have access to electric power. The limited reliable power affects the competitiveness of the Southern African industry, agriculture, and the economic opportunity and health conditions for rural populations, women, and youth. Through strengthening the enabling environment and facilitating public and private transactions, SAEP leverages the momentum of private investment to help focus SAEP’s resources in ways that best support the reform of national and regional energy ecosystems. At the same time, SAEP produces the tangible results needed to create a sustainable cycle of additional reforms, increased investment, and continued political will.
Position Description, Objectives and Project Overview:
The objective of USAID’s Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP) is to increase electricity availability and access in Southern Africa. This is to be done by facilitating transactions and strengthening the enabling environment for public and private sector investment in the power sector. SAEP will address five (5) key constraints to such investment: i) ineffective regulation, planning, and procurement for energy-related projects; ii) low commercial viability of utilities; iii) limited regional harmonization and cross border electricity trade; iv) lack of demonstrated scaled clean and renewable energy, energy efficiency technologies and practices, and v) weak institutional and human resource capacity for energy sector management.
The Embedded Advisor to ENDE, the electricity distribution company in Angola, will provide assistance to ENDE in the management and operation of the project implementation unit (PIU) for the African Development Bank (AfDB) Energy Sector Efficiency and Expansion Program and other donor programs such as World Bank (WB) electrification program. The Advisor will act as the main point of contact for SAEP’s ENDE team public and private sector stakeholders in Angola and the focal point for SAEP communications, technical activities, and engagement with ENDE. The advisor will work under the direction of the SAEP Utility lead.
- Fully understand SAEP’s objectives, strategies, and planned activities in Angola with ENDE and, to an extent when necessary, the Region, to enable fluent and effective communication about the project to stakeholders
- Working closely with SAEP leadership, engage with and coordinate SAEP activities and communications with energy sector stakeholders in Angola, with a particular focus on distribution utility operations. These stakeholders will include, but will not necessarily be limited to, the counterparts, namely ENDE, public sector agencies like the Ministry of Energy and Water, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Environment, the Regulatory agencies, and all stakeholders identified herewith or afterward, which impact the project. It will also include private sector organizations, including financial institutions and project developers and institutions that provide relevant training and support to electrification activities in Angola
- Working closely with ENDE electrification management, the Advisor is expected to fully understand the scope of the AfDB program and the World Bank programs as it relates to ENDE. Moreover, the Advisor will assist in supporting the ENDE PIU Manger to manage and operationalize the PIU to achieve its objectives in relation to the AfDB procurement plan and management requirements as well as technical work products related to the procurement, Similar support would be provided under the World Bank program.
- Drawing on professional experience and networks within Angola and building on the work done to date with ENDE, the Advisor will need to continually identify and cultivate relationships with ENDE PIU and other key ENDE stakeholders including the Commercial, Engineering and IT departments as well as senior managers for project success
- Serve as the SAEP point of contact to the US Government and other donors/cooperating partner organizations in Angola, whilst promptly and effectively conveying communications and information requests to SAEP Leadership in Pretoria
- Collect and contribute to analysis and reporting of in-country Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) data and other status/progress reports with a particular focus on collecting connections data for the programs SAEP supports
- In coordination with the SAEP Environmental Compliance Officer, ensure the ENDE project delivered in -country are in compliance with the SAEP Environmental Monitoring & Mitigation Plan (EMMP)
- Ensure proper support for training delivered in-country, including administrative and logistical support, building participation of local counterparts, and facilitation at training events for ENDE
- Other duties and projects as assigned
Minimum Skills, Educational Qualifications, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and preferably a graduate degree with a minimum of 10 years of experience in related fields
- Ideally has two to five years of experience in the Angola power sector (transmission and distribution, policy, planning, regulatory experience advantageous) with at least 2 years of project management experience. If you do not have Angola experience, but are currently based in Angola or have the ability to work in Angola and have relevant experience please apply
- Experience implementing and supporting international financial institution (e.g. World Bank, AfDB) programs is desired
- Experience in developing country environments required
- Prior experience on USAID or donor-funded projects preferable
- Proven written and oral communication skills; strong research, teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Full proficiency in English and Portuguese required – oral and written
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (e.g., Excel, Project, PowerPoint, Word)
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others, driving results across multiple work streams
- Strong individual initiative, including the ability to take ownership of work and work product, motivate others to produce strong work product and solve problems
NOTE: No relocation cost will be covered by Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC or the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program.
Please send a cover letter and a CV (PDF or word format), in English and Portuguese, that includes contact information and three references to email@example.com by 17 April 2020 at 17:00 WAT. Please include the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. SAEP will conduct interviews with shortlisted candidates either over the phone or in person. SAEP may also ask for writing samples or have the candidates write a sample in person for us to verify your writing capabilities.
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
About the Organization
Deloitte LLP is the U.S. member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu and services are provided by its subsidiaries (the Deloitte U.S. Entities), including Deloitte & Touche LLP, which provides audit, assurance and risk management related services, Deloitte Consulting LLP, which provides strategy, operations, technology, systems, outsourcing and human capital consulting services, Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP.
Deloitte Consulting LLP (Deloitte Consulting) is one of the world’s leading consulting firms for business strategy, operations, technology, and human resources planning. Deloitte Consulting provides services that are designed to bring together the unique experience, scale, and capabilities of their professionals to help clients in their efforts to address their most complex business problems.
The Emerging Market sector of Deloitte Consulting works with clients to implement economic reforms, support financial and private sector growth, and develop capacity.