Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC: Outcome 3 Deputy Lead
Opportunity Type: Fixed Term Employment
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people in the Southern African region and demonstrate leadership, versatility, and integrity in their work. We are seeking exceptional Pretoria, South Africa-based candidates for the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP).
The USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP) works to advance energy policy and regulatory reform, and accelerate investment to increase power generation and access to electricity throughout the region. According to World Bank data, less than 25% of the non-South African population living in the Southern African region have access to electric power. The limited reliable power affects the competitiveness of Southern African industry, agriculture, and the economic opportunity and health conditions for rural populations, women, and youth. Through strengthening the enabling environment and facilitating public and private transactions, SAEP leverages the momentum of private investment to help focus SAEP’s resources in ways that best support the reform of national and regional energy ecosystems. At the same time, SAEP produces the tangible results needed to create a sustainable cycle of additional reforms, increased investment, and continued political will.
Position Description, Objective & Responsibilities:
The Outcome 3 Deputy Lead will work with the Outcome 3 Lead to support the implementation of Outcome 3 Work Plan activities. The position will support the Team Lead of Outcome 3 who is responsible for: Improving regional harmonization and cross-border trade in the design and implementation of the various tasks under this Outcome to achieve its objectives and deliver results. Specifically, SAEP is working to improve planning, operational and trading capabilities of market participants working within regional institutions like the Southern African Power Pool (SAPP), SADC Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (SACREE), Regional Electricity Regulators Association of Southern Africa (RERA) and the Southern African Development Community (SADC). This will improve the overall operations, increase the transmission capacity, reliability and redundancy of the regional interconnected transmission system. At the same time, it will optimize the Southern African market and enhance the commercial viability of major regional infrastructure projects.
The Deputy Outcome 3 Lead will work with the SAEP Deputy Chief of Party Technical (DCOP (T)), Project Management Office (PMO) Lead and Outcomes 3 Lead to support the delivery of the annual approved project work plan. This will include, but may not be limited to the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Provide management support to the DCOP (T) and Outcome 3 Lead to drive implementation of program activities related to Outcomes 3, and, as required, across the project. This may include, but not necessarily be limited to:
- Lead some of the technical delivery of Outcome 3 activities as listed in the project work plan
- Prepare initial draft Scopes of Work (SOWs), briefing papers, trip reports, presentations, storyboards, bi-weekly, quarterly and annual reports and other documents for the PMO and various stakeholder engagements
- Manage the management tools and trackers employed by the SAEP PMO to maintain efficient project delivery and compliance
- Support communication and engagement with high-level program counterparts, including Ministers and utility CEOs
- Provide ad hoc and ongoing analysis, technical assistance, and advice to project leadership and technical advisors to enhance the quality and credibility of program deliverables and communications;
- Support regional coordination meetings, such as the Power Africa Field Coordination Meetings and the SAPP Energy Thematic Group Meetings. This includes developing materials and presentations and could include logistics planning;
- Support the leadership and technical advisors under Outcome 3 to identify economic trends that affect regional harmonization and, as required, provide quantitative analysis in support program recommendations and reporting;
- Monitor the economic environment across the Southern Africa region and within SAEP countries to identify and help communicate to project leadership and counterparts’ trends and their implications; and
- Drawing on analysis and engagement across the project, identify opportunities for SAEP to engage with and support counterparts across the region to advance program goals.
Minimum Skills, Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in related fields with relevant Project Management experience;
- Minimum 5 years of practical experience working with Government and Private Sector in the Energy Industry;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others, driving results across multiple workstreams;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and high proficiency in Microsoft Office (e.g., Excel, Project, PowerPoint);
- Understanding of Power System Economics, Planning and Project Appraisal techniques;
- Strong individual initiative, self-starter, including the ability to take ownership of work and work product, motivate others to produce strong work product and solve problems;
- Ability to travel within the Southern African region; and
- Prior experience on a donor-funded energy sector project delivery like a USAID funded project.
NOTE: No relocation cost will be covered by Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC or the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP).
Please send a cover letter and a CV (PDF or word format) that includes contact information and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB 26 July 2019. Please include the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Project LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
About the Organization
Deloitte LLP is the U.S. member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu and services are provided by its subsidiaries (the Deloitte U.S. Entities), including Deloitte & Touche LLP, which provides audit, assurance and risk management related services, Deloitte Consulting LLP, which provides strategy, operations, technology, systems, outsourcing and human capital consulting services, Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP.
Deloitte Consulting LLP (Deloitte Consulting) is one of the world’s leading consulting firms for business strategy, operations, technology, and human resources planning. Deloitte Consulting provides services that are designed to bring together the unique experience, scale, and capabilities of their professionals to help clients in their efforts to address their most complex business problems.
The Emerging Market sector of Deloitte Consulting works with clients to implement economic reforms, support financial and private sector growth, and develop capacity.