FHI 360 is a global development organization with a rigorous, evidence-based approach to human development. Our professional staff includes experts in health, nutrition, education, economic development, civil society, environment and research. FHI 360 operates from 60 offices with 4,400 staff in the U.S. and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at every level and our multidisciplinary approach enable us to have a lasting impact on the individuals, communities and countries we serve–improving lives for millions. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Deputy Chief of Party for a forthcoming USAID-funded early grade reading project in Bangladesh.
The primary purpose of the Shekhar Jonno Pori “Read to Learn” activity is to provide technical assistance to the Government of Bangladesh and its sector-wide Fourth Primary Education Development Program (PEDP4), as well as to schools and teachers. The activity aligns with the USAID Education Strategy to improve the reading skills of students in primary grades. Technical assistance will take the form of training services, provision and dissemination of goods such as teaching and learning materials, national and sub-national assessment design and implementation. The activity will foster partnerships between schools and families to enhance opportunities for children to read outside of school and in the home.
Deputy Chief of Party makes operational decisions and manages the various technical components of the program, including subcontracts. Responsible for management of the technical activities and implementation of the project. Ensure that program components are results-oriented, ensure high quality deliverables, and relevant and timely reporting. This individual will have a major focus on achieving results in all areas assuring that subcontractors are poised to deliver services on schedule, ensuring synergies and cohesion between the various result areas. This individual shall participate and engage in technical meetings and maintain positive relationships with officials, partners, and implementing partners. The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will, at times, acts as the Chief of Party (COP) in the absence of the COP.
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree (or foreign equivalent) in Education, International Development, Public/business administration, other social sciences, or a related field of study required;
- At least ten years’ experience of which at least eight years’ overseas experience with technical and/or operational issues related to education, literacy, development work, policy development, and community engagement;
- Must have at least five years of progressively more responsible supervisory work experience that involved direct leadership of professional and support staff, oversight and evaluation of staff performance and deliverables, and contract management;
- Experience working in Bangladesh or South Asia preferred;
- Experience organizing and conducting trainings, and overseeing design and development of instructional materials highly desirable;
- A strong understanding of monitoring, evaluation and learning;
- Demonstrated experience scaling up activities of similar scope, in a context similar to Bangladesh;
- Demonstrated ability to build good relationships with relevant stakeholders;
- Strong writing and communication abilities are essential;
- Fluent or native Bangla speaking ability desirable.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.