CARE seeks a Deputy Chief of Party for an anticipated USAID-funded education project in Somalia, Accelerated Quality Learning for Somali Children and Youth. USAID’s new education activity of approximately $49 million will come to fruition in fall 2018. This includes investment in non-formal education through accelerated education approaches, focusing on assessing and building basic skills for children and youth ages 8-15, and the development of national standards by levels as part of an overall accelerated education framework.
Expected outcomes of this project include:
- Relevant, flexible, safe and quality education opportunities for out-of-school children and youth in Somalia through Accelerated Education Programs (AEPs).
- Improvement of USAID-funded AEP student learning outcomes in reading, numeracy and socio-emotional learning.
- Technical assistance to and build partnerships with federal, state, regional and local Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MoE) counterparts, particularly, towards institutionalization of legitimate and accredited accelerated education.
- Strengthened capacity of the MoE through technical assistance and partnerships with federal, state, regional and local education stakeholders to deliver, monitor and regulate legitimate, accredited and flexible education opportunities to out-of-school children and youth.
- Positive gender norms for girls and boys, including a highlighted attention on girls’ access and safety who are less likely to have access to safe, quality education in Somalia.
- Promoting stability during a key transition period in Somalia through engagement of out-of-school children and youth in education opportunities that advance student learning.
International relocation and allowances may be available.
To apply, please visit: https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=CAREUSA&cws=52&rid=3003
- Oversee the coordinated planning (of activities and resources) and implementation of the program and program operations in line with state-of-the art strategies, technical standards, and applicable USAID rules and regulations.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Party, ensure the adequacy of planning, monitoring and reporting and competence for the effective scale up of program interventions to meet established programmatic and financial targets and timeframes.
- Develop and implement systems that address food insecurity and other pertinent sectoral issues. Resolve/facilitate the resolution of technical issues.
- Provide strategic oversight of program tasks and activities, including participating in budget discussions.
- Conduct monitoring visits to observe field activities.
- Serve on the program’s Senior Management Team.
- Promote quality, efficiency, integrity, and learning throughout program duration.
- Mentor and supervise direct report/s.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible experience. Previous experience working in the technical areas of this project is required. Previous experience on USAID-funded programs of a similar size and scope is required. Previous experience working on a donor-funded contract is strongly preferred.
- Experience in conflict areas strongly preferred.
- Proven leadership skills. Demonstrated experience recruiting, developing, and managing staff.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with host governments, donors, other donor-funded projects and stakeholders, local organizations, and partners.
- Experience managing programmatic and financial reporting requirements.
- Previous experience in Somalia is preferred but not required.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Proficiency in Somali is a strong asset.
About the OrganizationCARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE's community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of HIV, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.